Can this be achieved in digital photography?

danalec99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Can this be acheived in digital photography?
I mean the texture and/or fine crispiness.

Digital Matt said:
Sure. Oversharpen one of your photos a little bit and/or add a bit of noise.

:D

or maybe try setting the highest ISO I heard it adds some noise to the photos, but I haven't tried it yet

Let me try to put it this way...

Lets say a particular subject shot by digital and film camera (top of the line equipment) at the same time with the same settings.
While printing, which one would give a neat result in terms of quality?

I'm not sure if I'm making myself clear enough.

danalec99 said:
Lets say a particular subject shot by digital and film camera (top of the line equipment) at the same time with the same settings.
While printing, which one would give a neat result in terms of quality?

There are too many variables to consider to make a definitive answer. When you say "top-o-the-line" digital do you mean Canon's latest DSLR or a digital back that fits on a MF camera. For film do you mean 35mm, medium format, or large format? What size print are you comparing? A 40"x50" gelatin silver print from 4x5 or 8x10 film is going to be stunning. If you are comparing a top-o-the-line DSLR with a 35mm SLR and 8"x12" prints photographed and printed by skilled photographers, then I would say that they would both be of pretty good quality, and it might be hard to decide which is better.

And then there is the eye (and opinion) of the beholder...

Thanks bp22hot and ksmattfish for the response.

ksmattfish said:
If you are comparing a top-o-the-line DSLR with a 35mm SLR and 8"x12" prints photographed and printed by skilled photographers, then I would say that they would both be of pretty good quality, and it might be hard to decide which is better.

1. Sorry for not explaining the variables. And yes, these two (DSLR and a 35mm SLR) were my variables.
So would you recommend a serious newbie to start with a DSLR instead of an SLR?

2. Would you know the quality difference if the variables were a top-of-the-line DSLR and a top-of-the-line Rangefinder coupled with a skilled photographer+same scenario as above?

Thanks.

Most reactions

Back