can this be trusted?

Possession of stolen property is against the law. Buying stolen property is against the law as well. Doing so will land you in serious trouble not to mention you will be out of hard earned cash.

WHO SAID IT WAS STOLEN! Lack of comprehension should be against the law.

I am responding to a poster that say even if it was stolen, it was still ok to purchase it, because it's the owner's loss.

I am responding to a poster that say even if it was stolen, it was still ok to purchase it, because it's the owner's loss.

Ahh didn't see theat post, No I am not condoning buying stolen property. Just wanted to point out that everyone in on Craigs List isn't crooked!

ryanl said:
Ohh really? Please elaborate, I would love to hear why eveyone thinks this HAS TO BE STOLEN!

1. You said Canon is preferred over Nikon, why you said that, I dunno. Doesn't play into anything and just shows your childish nature.
2. Nikon D90s don't use compact flash.
3. It doesn't have the charger, CL is a place for stolen goods, he doesn't know much about the camera, obviously, it just seems fishy. AKA There is a god chance it is stolen. I never said outright it was stolen I just said it probably is.
4. I don't even know why I am responding to you, It's obvious you just want to argue. You have benefited nothing to the OP and rather have just HiJacked the thread with your useless BS.

REPORTED.

Ahh didn't see theat post, No I am not condoning buying stolen property. Just wanted to point out that everyone in on Craigs List isn't crooked!

No worries. I buy and sell on CL before as well.

I'm with those who think this is sketchy.

How exactly does one come across a brand new camera without a charger? The only possible legitimate way I can think of is if this is a store demo, and I would NOT consider that new. That's worse than used because everyone coming in to the store would muck with it. Otherwise, this is likely stolen.

Besides, $650 is NOT a super-great price for a D90 with nothing but the battery, and especially no warranty and no recourse if you find something wrong with the camera. The body sells for $780 *new* at Adorama. Refurbished ones (when they can be found) with all original accessories and some warranty sell for about $680 at reputable stores.

Let me put it his way -- $650 isn't compelling enough of a price to take the risk.

EDIT:
BTW, if I desperately wanted a D90 for $650, here's what I would do. Adorama sells the D90 + 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR kit for ~$1100. That kit comes with the camera and lens in separate boxes with all the accessories and warranties for each. Given the lens alone retails for $530, I'd think one could easily sell the lens on craigslist for $450 or so. That leaves a brand new D90 body for $650. I'm not advising anyone to do this... it's just what I would do if I were desperately seeking a D90 body for $650.

Last edited:
1. You said Canon is preferred over Nikon, why you said that, I dunno. Doesn't play into anything and just shows your childish nature.
Hmm you must have missed the "LOL JUST A PREFERENCE"! You know how people prefer one over the other?

2. Nikon D90s don't use compact flash.
Already corrected that, I am not a Nikon owner.

3. It doesn't have the charger, CL is a place for stolen goods, he doesn't know much about the camera, obviously, it just seems fishy. AKA There is a god chance it is stolen. I never said outright it was stolen I just said it probably is.
Ohh BS, a yard sale, ebay, and any other used goods place is just as much for stolen goods, I bet ebay has a much higher rate of stolen goods than locally on CL.

4. I don't even know why I am responding to you, It's obvious you just want to argue. You have benefited nothing to the OP and rather have just HiJacked the thread with your useless BS.
Nope I just give humanity a fighting chance. I think by trying to tell the OP that he should give it a shot, I am contributing to the post. You gotta learn to Live Freely... Ohh another joke...

:playball:

I paid $650 for mine. Used off craigslist. 7,500 clicks, all paperwork and original box included. When I went to pick it up I brought a memory card and my 50mm 1.8 lens to test it out. Everything went smoothly- not everyone selling on CL is a thief.

Get a receipt with the serial numbers written on it along with the date and time. Have the seller show you his drivers license and write down his information on the receipt.

I'd offer him $575 cash.

p!nK

I think the best route to go with this *is* to ask for the serial number of the camera. If they refuse to give it to you, I would end transaction right then and there. If they *do* give it to you... run it and find out if it's legit. Just because they give it to you doesn't mean it's not stolen... if it's stolen and they give it to you, that just means they're stupid. :lol:

I agree, I would put a lot of trust if they actually gave it up. As far as checking, I am not sure if you could ask Canon any info about the registration. No idea how else to vet the info.

I emailed the poster and asked some questions, if he tells me he stole it I will let everyone know and admit defeat. Until then, I stand by my fellow American and have faith that they are honest until proven otherwise.

I bought my D90 for $774.95 brand new from Cameta Camera back in December.

Based on the information presented, it looks sketchy. Why would he have a brand new D90 with no box, paperwork, or any other included items, especially if he shoots Canon? And then offer to throw in a compact flash card, which the D90 doesn't even use? Be skeptical. It's too weird to be legit.

If he does give up the serial number, how would you verify it?

Plus the guy is an arrogant d-bag. I wouldn't do business with him as a matter of principle.

The verdict is in! Here's what he replied:
Feel free to post this for me:

Dear skeptical chat board dorks who have too much time on your hands,

You should really be out taking photos, rather than wasting your time debating such a speculative topic. However, as corny as this debate is, I will allay your collective paranoia and put your fears to rest, lest you turn up with torches to burn me out of my fiefdom.

@Ryan L - Exactly. You hit the nail on the head. It's bad enough that I posted, "Do not ask me if the camera is still available. When it is no longer available I will remove the ad." Yet 1 out of 3 morons who can't read or follow directions asked me just that. 9 out of 10 people who ask if "the item is still available," are next going to ask if I will take a cashier's check and send it to their relative in Africa. This is a common scam on CL, and I don't have time to be bothered with those crooks.

Usually the people who post the most longwinded explanations attached to their items for sale are the real crooks, e.g, "My rich boyfriend bought me this $5,000 LV bag, but since we broke up I can't stand to look at it so I'm selling it for $500, bc I really just need the cash to pay for my books this semester at med school." (Whatever with your fake Chinatown Canal St LV that you bought for $50.) I don't need to explain myself. It's a classifies ad, not a personals ad.

I spend so much time at B&H the staff know me by my first name and my cousin works there. I just bought an f/2.8 300mm lens. The light weight of the D90 body, couldn't sustain the weight of this lens, even if I bought an adaptor for it. [/FONT]

@indeedies I am accredited as a photographer, by the NYPD, and would NEVER sell a stolen camera. That is some seriously bad karma, and I would never want any of my cameras to get stolen. Yes it takes SD. Don't get your panties in a bunch. It was just a freudian slip, bc my 1DS Mark 3 takes both cards simultaneously. I should have said, I'll throw in a free roll of film. Lol. I can change the ad to read "Free SD card." Even if you bought this camera from the store, it wouldn't come with an SD card, but I know most people who buy a new toy, want the instant gratification of being able to use it immediately, so I was trying to be thoughtful and accommodating.

Live_free You can thank blogging as a medium for the new level of snideness that has risen in society.

@Stormchase - Trucking is killing our planet, as is drilling for the oil necessary to put in the trucks. Most truckers do speed, which is probably bought illegally, and we all know what kind of debauchery occurs at truck stops. I'd rather buy locally, so I don't have to have anything trucked in, but I digress- I own at least 20 cameras, including a Leciaflex, a Sony, A Nikon FM10, A Konica, A Minolta, A Canon 5D mark 2, A Canon 1DS Mark 2, An Olympus with underwater housing, etc. I didn't realize I was only "allowed" to have one brand of camera. A professional photographer should know how to use any type of camera, from a medium format film, to a high-end digital. The features are more important than the brand.

I currently have about 10 of them in rotation. My Sony dsc is about 7 years old, and I spent $300 to have it repaired, when that is more than what it would probably sell for these days, and I could have easily replaced with a much newer, cheaper model. I did that because the Carl Zeiss Lens is fantastic, the design is really ergonomic, and I love it. It's slow as a turtle by today's digital standards, but is still my fav choice when shooting product, especially macro, like sunglasses or jewelry, because the color is utterly superb, and it's light. I prefer shooting almost everything handheld sans a mono or tripod, (unless I'm using a 300mm lens) so I wouldn't want to shoot a watch, with my heavy 1DS Mark 2. Camera gear isn't just about ticket price, it's about what it's worth to you, and personal preference. When I am shooting sports, I use a 1DSMark 4. Fastest digi on the market.

While I prefer to use Canon for digital editorial, I like to check out Nikons from time to time, especially since my father, who is also a photographer, has a bunch of superb manual Nikon lenses, and I like to focus manually. Of course I could've purchased an adaptor to mount them to my Canon bodies, but I thought what the heck, why not get a cheap Nikon that is comparable to the Rebel T2i instead. I SMH at photogs who call themselves pros, yet they can't shoot with a camera they don't own, because they don't know how. A photographer should be able to shoot with anything, and get the cover of TIME with a Polaroid if necessary. I like to keep up with technology. I'm prob going to buy the Nikon D700 instead, since it's comparable to the 5D Mark 2. I feel the D90 is great for the price, but has limitations that the D700 doesn't. [/FONT]

I didn't post where I got it from, because anyone who is interested would have simply asked. Duh. Just like anyone who was really interested would have also asked, how many actuations does the shutter have? What happened to the charger? Why are you selling it, etc.

I like to weed out the scammers, crazies, obsessive bargain hunters, and idiots first, so I know the person who asks the right questions, is probably going to buy it and isn't a kook. I will have to take the time to meet with the buyer in person, so I'd like to feel that they are a safe person to meet, and they are going to USE It, and appreciate it, and isn't just buying it to re-sell it. I'd prefer to sell it to a student, who will appreciate getting a good deal. With the rate cameras depreciate, and the access I have to any type of equipment I want, It's not a big deal for me to sell this camera cheaply.

But no matter what I say, based on the heated debate on this board, most of you will not be satisfied, and you will insist that it is stolen. If that is how you really feel than do us both a favor and don't buy it from me. Someone else will. And while your at it, please don't download any free .mp3s from BitTorrent or Limewire, or drag images onto your desktop from the net, because that is definitely stealing!)

So there you non believers! Stick that where the sun don't shine! Thank you, and goodnight!

Go with a friend. Maybe it's legit, if so, then score. Just be careful and go with a preferably a big guy friend.

BTW with the way he talks and the fact he doesn't have the charger all points to it being stolen, but that persons lost is your gain. You may want to use a fake name though...

To @Live_free People are like books. You open them, and they're read. I think it speaks volumes that you said "Even if it's stolen, that person's loss is your gain." Clearly you sanction theft, and have the mind of a thief, which is why you suspects it's a stolen camera.

Any pro photog has their equipment registered with NPS, or CPS, etc., and the equipment's serial # can be traced back to them.

Possession of stolen property is against the law. Buying stolen property is against the law as well. Doing so will land you in serious trouble not to mention you will be out of hard earned cash.

WHO SAID IT WAS STOLEN! Lack of comprehension should be against the law.

That was @Live_Free, she is the one who suggested it was stolen. She is also saying it's ok to buy, even if it is stolen. What does that say about her?

If he is a canon user why would he have a nikon 90? without explaining how he got it. Sound fishy but at the same time he is in SoHo. thats the attitude! Ask for the serial numbers on it before you go to see him. see what happens there!

Why does he have to explain himself. I have a Chevy and I am a Ford driver; I have a Mac, but I am a PC user; I have an RCA TV, but I prefer Sony. Maybe he won it, maybe he got it in trade for gear, maybe he clubbed some old lady over the head for it!

You cannot tell by the context of someones words if he is a criminal! Damn people, do we trust no one these days? I can post the most well spoken, gramatically correct, "I'm baking apple pie" while I type this, bull**** Craigslist ad. Does that mean any of it is true? On that same thought, I can be a grumpy dick, and have a hell of a deal and be just as real as Suzy home maker selling apple pie, that she could have just made out of children!!

WHO SAID IT WAS STOLEN! Lack of comprehension should be against the law.[/QUOTE]

Not to keep dragging it on. I would personally not care. Im sure i have purchesed stuff that i would not want to know. YES i would love to have something returned if it was stolen. Im all for that and NOT saying it is stolen but why not find out first!? I he refused to give the serial numbers I would suspect it MIGHT be stolen. Would i call the cops on them .. no. But if it was a concern to own something like that I would check it out first. Its a quick way to call out someone. Im a Chevy guy and i drive a Mustang gt. I hear ya!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back