Can this photographer do that?

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can a photographer go up to the stage and get closer shots of a speaker or performer?

_MG_5792.jpg

Honestly I would say that it all depends on the venue and the performer. If they are ok with it, then it is fine.

Sure he can. But he should get his shot, then back out, as not to block the view of others or get down on a knee. Or he can use a tele. There aren't any rules written in stone other than respect for others and use some common sense.

Depends on the policies of the venue and/or the organization running the event. You don't have any control over who they allow to have access to the stage area (in this case a clueless volunteer with a camera).

When I've had access or credentials I get the photos I need pretty efficiently without blocking fans' view of the game any longer than necessary but you can't count on that being the case. At events sometimes it involves working around people (and mascots, concession staff carrying cotton candy, whatever).

He has a Tamron zoom lens, so he is "im-bis-ivle!!!" [could that be a play on the word imbecile/invisible/invincible?? hint, hint] Or so he thinks. My opinion? The volunteer photographer is wayyyyyyyyy overstepping here, and is farrrrrrr to close to the speaker. He is within the speaker's personal space bubble, from the looks of the photo. He appears clueless.

Unfortunately, the spread of digital photography has created numerous digital idiots. Perhaps they were idiots to begin with. I don't know.

These days, events of any kind, from a baptisms to weddings, funerals, to local entertainer or well-known entertainer have idiots with their cell phones or iPads or tablets walking right up and taking their pictures? "It's all about me!" is the mind set these days. This clown thinks that because he's got a 'real' camera, he has 'license' to do what he wants.

As others have replied...depending on the venue and the entertainers, 'close up' shots like those may or may not be permitted. Most of us on this forum have seen the clip of a minister interrupting a wedding ceremony to admonish the idiot photographer directly behind him. The idiots are everywhere. We just have to 'put up' with it or become the 'bad guy/girl' by telling them to get out of the way.

He can do whatever wants until someone says he can't. The worst offenders at events are the amateurs that are given passes, or in this case a swell shirt that have no idea where they should be in order to take pictures and not be in everyone else's way.

One of the swim meets I just finished I had a photographer standing next to the starting blocks as the swimmers were in competition. I finally had to tell her to move and that if she had of been at a Canadian swim meet she would have been tossed from the venue. Her response was that "normally" at the US swim meets they aren't allowed to be there, but because no one said she couldn't that made it alright, she was using a 70-200 with a 1.4. She did explain that she usually uses a 300 2.8 or 400 2.8 to shoot swimming and had to get closer to the swimmers because she had a "short" lens this time. She also added that she hand holds the 400 2.8, judging by how she was holding the 70-200, I think she was bending time and space as well. This is the dimension of imagination.

Well, since none of us know what's going on there, none of us can answer. He could be doing exactly what he was told, he could be waiting for something, or, he could be, as alluded to, an overly entheusiastic volunteer with a camera.

Well, since none of us know what's going on there, none of us can answer. He could be doing exactly what he was told, he could be waiting for something, or, he could be, as alluded to, an overly entheusiastic volunteer with a camera.

Exactly! For all we know, the speaker is getting ready to introduce him to the crowd so as to not be afraid of him if he asks to take pictures of the event-goers.

Exactly! For all we we know, the man is security for the venue. He just got done whacking some poor slob with a camera, taking it from him, then tossed his unconscious body into the mosh pit. He is now catching his breath before removing the memory cards and destroying them.

FIFY.

Orrr, he is actually an international assassin who has cleverly stolen a volunteer t shirt and camera thingie in order to get close to teh speaker and garrotte him with the camera strap.
Since this is a fund-raising event, no one looks at the speaker so no one will notice.

With a lens that short he has to.

Most reactions

Back