can this substitute well?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Kofman13, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Kofman13

Kofman13 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    im looking at the Nikkor 28-70 2.8 and think its a god lens, all around amazing lens. but im no where near being able to drop $1,300 for a lens.
    Is the sigma 28-70 2.8 EX a formidable substitution? its discontinued... but i see it online going for $230

2. JasonLambert

JasonLambert TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I can't speek for your Nikon stuff but a lesson I have learned is that you get what you pay for.

3. Gaerek

Gaerek TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't know about that lens in particular, but in general, the third party lenses (Sigma, Tamron, Tokina) are going to be less expensive than their main brand counterparts. Like Jason said, you get what you paid for, but that doesn't mean it's a bad lens. I would just research, and see what others say about it. That's a pretty darn fast lens for a really good price, and at that price it might just be worth it. But then again, it might be crap. Keep in mind that the third parties do make some amazing lenses. They also make some real turds too. But, Canon and Nikon do the same. Sometimes they hit a home run with a lens, other times, they fail. It's all about the research.