Can we discuss lighting?

If you shoot JPG, you *must* set WB in camera for best results.

Are you sure about this? I see this comment a lot from different people, but I have no problem adjusting white balance in my jpegs using Photoshop's Camera Raw utility. Maybe I'm missing something? Try it yourself -- go into Bridge, locate any jpeg you have saved on your PC, then right-click and select Camera Raw. The workflow seems to be the same as for processing RAW files, with all the same options. I'm not sure if this is new in CS3. Anyway, after shooting in RAW for months, last week I switched to shooting in jpeg, and so far I haven't missed RAW at all.

You have more room with Raw. he's recommending the best method. he's not saying that you can't do it any other way.

Yeah I'll go back to auto. The whole blue being cold and red/orange being hot thing really makes sense. My camera's auto isn't terrible but I'm shooting in raw and now I have one less thing to worry about.

Got any articles on your blog about what apperture to use? I use M mode and basically try to shoot shots in the lowest ISO and try to get the little ticker in the middle of exposure meter. I'm opening or closing depending on where that marker is. If its really dark I'll raise the number and if its really light i"ll lower it. I'm basically just raising and lowering when needed.

Actually, Orange is cold and blue is hot. The hotter the flame, the bluer it gets. Strange huh?

Jerry
Per the strobist site you recommended there's a referral to marin prihoda. What he does on his video supposedly can be done with 3 strobes. A strobe is not the 580ex right?

Oh wait yes it is. so 3 strobes means 3 580 exs?

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2008/04/martin-prihoda-is-back.html

Thanks ernan

Or Sunpak, or Vivitar, or Metz, or Sigma, or and Elinchrom, or Alien Bee, or Profoto flash.

thanks Village

What about this? I know its not 580ex's but just curious

Photogenic StudioMax III Pro 640 W/S AC/DC Kit - Includes: 2 AKC320 320 W/S Monolights, Reflectors, Umbrellas, Sync Cord, Light Stands, Case - NO Battery

679.00 bucks

One 580 EX is 420.00.

Is this kit any good? I'm thinking for portraits basically.

For about the same price you can get a set of Elinchrom dlite 4's. They're better studio lights.

The problem is that you have to decide, ultra portable or ultra power.

Starting out I may need portable more than power. Really I need the best portable/affordable/not just affordable because crappy but affordable and great quality.

Starting out I may need portable more than power. Really I need the best portable/affordable/not just affordable because crappy but affordable and great quality.

580EX II $400
Sunpak 383 $80
Sunpak 383 $80
Shoot through umbrella $20
shoot through umbrella $20
light stand $35
light stand $35

$670

Choose how to trigger your lights.

Triggering units:
Elinchrom Skyports - $400
Pocket Wizards - $750
E bay triggers - $50

There's a decent kit. You could even start off with the two sunpaks and get everything but the triggers for $270. The ebay triggers will get you started but they're unreliable. PW's are the industry standard but they're expensive. The Skyports are half the price and just as reliable. They don't have the range though.

Are you sure about this? I see this comment a lot from different people, but I have no problem adjusting white balance in my jpegs using Photoshop's Camera Raw utility.

Yes, I am sure. JPGs don't have the same level of adjustability. In a RAW file its one slider for WB, and its quite accurate. In a JPG its the adjustment of several and longer and less accurate results.

Its just not the same.

Yes, I have CS3 and lightshop and DxO and Bibble and Adobe camera Raw and... well you get the idea... lol.

As far as starting out, there are people out there that do amazing things with 1 strobe and a reflector.

I have access to 5 light sources. More often than not I use 1 maybe 2 and once I have exhausted myself with that, I will add more. I do have a 2nd SB-800 coming next, though, and I am really looking forward to greater availability of the radio poppers.

The one in the link comes with a transmitter and a receiver. You can buy another receiver for $100, iirc.

The Skyports are really great units.

The one in the link comes with a transmitter and a receiver. You can buy another receiver for $100, iirc.

The Skyports are really great units.
Skyports are pretty much #2 on the market in terms of a quality unit... but only till the Radio Poppers take over the whole ball of wax very soon... then they get dropped to the #3 position.

Being able to shoot TTL wirelessly is the cat's pajamas! :lol:

Most reactions

Back