Can wind damage lenses?

amoki said:
It certainly wouldn't burst into flames when blown by strong winds :D

Unless you are in the southern hemisphere at noon facing towards a summer sun... then you could be in trouble.

Rob said:
Unless you are in the southern hemisphere at noon facing towards a summer sun... then you could be in trouble.
What will happen in that situation?

I'm actually in the southern hemisphere, and it's summer here. Although I havent taken any pictures of the sun at noon, just sunsets.

keller said:

I'm actually in the southern hemisphere, and it's summer here. Although I havent taken any pictures of the sun at noon, just sunsets.

Well, think of your lens as being a giant magnifying glass capable of focusing light energy on a specific spot to cause fire. Summer + noon = direct strong sunlight. It'll damage your eyes, and if put on a piece of paper could burn them, even start a fire (No kidding). The lens certainly wouldn't burst into flames, but it may damage your camera is exposed directly to bright sunlight (say, no lens cap) And since a lot of cameras nowadays start to use plastic stuff to build the camera's body.... *shrug*

I seriously doubt if it would do anything to the camera or lens itself. You might fry your eyes looking into the sun like anytime else, or you might cause some problems for the sensor, but the light falling on it is not focused into a pinpoint like a magnifying glass. Still, looking into the sun is never a good idea (unless you want to get really good at math).

keller said:

I was joking. There is no risk to your equipment.

Eyes are sensitive and can be damaged, so always wear a welder's mask when taking photographs.

Sorry, I did it again. :mrgreen:

Rob

Most reactions

New Topics

Back