Can you believe...

voodoocat said:
Couple more folks :D

Taken 9 mins after birth.

noahmr03.jpg

Okay, call me a geek, but what are the tech specs on this shot? Lens, focal length, f-stop, ISO, lighting, etc.? I want to make sure I can get good photos come december... :-D

Okay, call me a geek, but what are the tech specs on this shot?

John, you are such a geek..... :twisted:

But actually I am right there with ya. I love these 2 B&Ws, especially the one John is asking about. :wink:

So, Big Voodoo Daddy... Can you give us the tech specs? Huh, can ya? Yes, we know, birth of first son and all that..... :roll: but surely you were taking notes here!!!! :x

Well I wasn't taking notes.... but that is the wonderful thing about digital ;) It saves it all for me :LOL:

I didn't want to focus on anything but this baby. So I schlepped the 50mm 1.8 lens on. I mostly shot f1.8 between 1/40 - 1/100 depending on the lighting. The light on the baby table where they clean him up and stuff is actually daylight balanced :lol: so the white balance was easy. And pretty bright too... 1/100. Sometimes I cranked the ISO to 800 depending on the lighting. Like in the room they're in now. B&W was done using the gradient map in photoshop.

Congrats...I dunno how it feels...so youll have to feel it for the both of us! :p

As a TPF baby, we should all send money to chase into a big pool, and then he can send it to you mate to buy your baby a camera!

Was...just...an idea.

He is such a cuty, congrats and all the best to the new guy on this beautiful planet.

Seeing him dreaming made me remember that lovely song of Ol' Blue Eyes:

Dream away, child; let your dreams run wild
Or a lifetime of worries might claim you.
Or the years and the tears shed might claim you.

For the last time we have tasted
love's sweet tears by the fire's glow.
If our hearts are strong there'll be
no long good-byes when it's time to go.
But the strongest torch is sometimes broken
As the deepest vows aren't always spoken,
And the greatest wounds, we hide inside ourselves
Where they never show.

Dream away, child, let your dreams run wild.

When the Winter weds the Northern Wind
The child they bear is snow.
And the branches bow like worried bridesmaids
But the trees will grow.
Sun and Earth in time will come together,
God will give us back our summer weather,
But the memories of that first sweet
Taste of love pass away so slow.

When there's no room left to live inside ourselves
Do we dream away.

voodoocat said:
Well I wasn't taking notes.... but that is the wonderful thing about digital ;) It saves it all for me :LOL:

I didn't want to focus on anything but this baby. So I schlepped the 50mm 1.8 lens on. I mostly shot f1.8 between 1/40 - 1/100 depending on the lighting. The light on the baby table where they clean him up and stuff is actually daylight balanced :lol: so the white balance was easy. And pretty bright too... 1/100. Sometimes I cranked the ISO to 800 depending on the lighting. Like in the room they're in now. B&W was done using the gradient map in photoshop.

I wonder if I could get roughly the same effect with my 18-55 lens and about a +1 or +2 closeup filter on. I love that short DOF, but don't have the fixed aperture...

Also wondering if my flash with a softbox attached would be too much of a distraction/too stressful on the new tyke.

Were these shot with your d70? If so, that ISO 800 is VERY clean. I'm impressed!

Shark said:
voodoocat said:

I wonder if I could get roughly the same effect with my 18-55 lens and about a +1 or +2 closeup filter on. I love that short DOF, but don't have the fixed aperture...

Also wondering if my flash with a softbox attached would be too much of a distraction/too stressful on the new tyke.

Were these shot with your d70? If so, that ISO 800 is VERY clean. I'm impressed!
I couldn't have done it handheld without the 1.8 lens. I highly recommend you get that lens. Can't beat $100 for such a nice piece of glass. The 2 shots I've shown in this thread are ISO200.
http://www.redrockexposure.com/noah/noahmr02.jpg this one is ISO 800.

Congratulations Voodoo... so we have a small-voodoo in here :) another photographer? :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back