can you cook anything interesting in a microwave?

ferny

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.blueyedmuffin.co.uk
They've turned off the gas for 2/3 of the people in my town. In 2001 the population was 184,390, so that's a lot of people without gas! Our heating is gas and so is our oven which leaves me with just a barbecue to cook on (too cold outside) or a microwave. So, what can I cook? Just in case we can't get anything from one of the hundreds of local takeaways because they've either ran out of food or use gas themselves. We could be without it for a couple of days. It's to do with a gas leak they're trying to find or something.

I'd need to boil some water and drop it in first. It makes it easier to remove the hair. But, I can't boil a pan of water. Just a kettle.

Do you have Easy Mac there? Maccaroni and cheese all done in the microwave :) And I think you can even do Ramen Noodles in there as well. That exhausts my cooking ideas. That is why Aubrey does the cooking in our house :mrgreen:

hha my friend boiled an egg... he just put it inside and turned a microwave on 15 minutes... holy crap... he couldn't wash the oven for almost an hour... the egg was everywhere :)

Been there... Done that...

And boy does it stink!

Well, I didn't try to boil it. I just wanted to see what would happen if you put an egg in there. :twisted:

First week I was in an apartment there wasn't any gas to run the stove so I feel your pain. Scrambled eggs are easy to microwave. If you have a small styrofoam bowl, they cook the best in one. Aside from that, easy mac, cup o noodles are good. Check out the markets freezer section for good microwavable meals. Pizza, pot pies and white castle burgers are always good microwave meals. :mrgreen: If you ever want to know how to bake brownies in a bbq, let me know. They come out good but have a slightly smokey flavor. :lol:

I'd agree with Hertz here, just about anything can be cooked in the microwave, just doesn't typically taste as good IMO.

On a side note, if you have Peeps (the little marshmellow easter candies) put those in the microwave and see what happens!! You can get a Peep the size of your head :lol: Also try putting a CD-R in there...that might be fun to take pics of actually...it's like fireworks in the microwave :)

Don't put a CD in the microwave unless you want to die. Produces all kinds of wonderfully poisonous gases.

If its fun your looking for, try a wad of aluminum (i can't spell) foil with toothpicks stuck in it, when in the microwave, the foil will spark and then the toothpicks will shoot mini fireballs off the ends.

If, however, you aren't the fun type, try cooking just about anything, but not for too long or the cleanup time will be ginormus.

Nine minutes for a baked potato wrapped in paper towels

five minutes to fry bacon

around 1.5 minutes to cook scrambled eggs

andreag5 said:
canned soups are the only things that actually taste good once cooked in a microwave IMO

p.s. the cd thing is cool...ive tried it :thumbup:

You've never had me cook for you then. My 5 minute steamed sponge pudding done in the micro is legendary ;)

Nine minutes for a baked potato wrapped in paper towels
:puke:
Sorry Aubrey, but baked potatoes in the microwave are horrible. Even if you half do them and then put them into the oven to crisp up (I love the skin!).
Scrambled eggs are better in there because there's less washing up. Ever done an omelette in the microwave? It's different, in a good way.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back