Can you do our wedding pleeease?

Hair Bear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
We will pay you!

Its a family question as well, if I mess this up I'll have to live with it!

I'm so bothered about it I'm even thinking of paying for a pro friend to do it for me.

Don't get me wrong I would like to give it a go but I can see so many issues not a least kit.

I know there are lots of 'this is my first wedding' threads

Are there any basics I need to know and in terms of kit that I would need.

I'm thinking I might even buy a D80 if I agree to do it so I can see whats going on as I take the pics.

I like informal style shots, I will have a conversation with them to make sure they want this style.

Oh there is so many more questions, any input? Please!

Where are you at? I'll shoot it with you.:D

Really try and see what they are looking for. Show them some good sites.
Try this one. She is local to me. I think she does an amazing job.

http://www.jessica-johnston.com/

How are you at flash photography? If you take it, study everything you can get your hands on.

No pressure, but you would hate to screw it up.:wink:

The smart thing would be to politely decline to be the primary photographer but offer to shoot supplementally for them.

I've been in that situation a number of time in the past. People see my photos and ask me to shoot their wedding. I didn't feel that I had the experience and I surely didn't have enough back-up equipment to be responsible for the memories of their big day.

What I did do, was shoot everything besides the ceremony and formals. I would be there early in the morning when the bride was getting her hair done...I would shoot guests and candids before/after the ceremony. I might even accompany the hired pro to the location of the formal shoot and get candids etc. Then I would shoot the reception etc.

I found that all of that was a lot less pressure than shooting the ceremony and formals and I learned a lot at the same time.

I like your thinking there but I will need to make sure the pro is happy with this and my pics match his/hers.

I emailed the this weekend and told them I wasn't happy with the situation and the responsibility and also recomended the guy that did my wedding.

I have also asked them for a detailed spec on what they are looking for. If they want big formal then I will just decline.

If its just candid casual shots then I might be up for it.

Thanks for the offer Kevin, but I'm in the UK so the travel might be a bit of an issue!

Yes, being aware of the Pro is important. Some pro photographers will not allow anyone else to be shooting when they are. Especially if they depend on print sales for their income.

Sometimes the pro is hired to everything from getting ready to the end of the night...sometimes it's just the formals. I let the couple know what I can/will do for them and let them hire a pro to do the rest.

I always let the pro know who I am, and what the couple has asked of me. I don't copy any of the pro's shots unless I can get a unique angle or something that they just can't get.

Keep in mind that if this is a family wedding...you might be better off just shooting as a guest because you might want to have fun rather than 'work'.

Mike brings up an interesting point regarding their 'print sales'. If they do happen to hire a pro, when you talk to him/her prior to the event, you might want to come to an agreement that you will nto show your shots until after the bride and groom have ordered from the pro photographer. This allows helps to loosen the 'competitive' tension,a nd you would act more as a 'filling in the pieces' that he/she misses, but not at their expense.

Good luck

I like being behind the camera at these events family or not.

I find most of them boring and the conversation can be dry and stillted because of the day.

If I got a camera and I am doing shots I can decide when I interact and when I don't, gets me through the day and gives me something to do!

Can you tell I don't like weddings!!!

Another idea that comes to mind, is perhaps tell them to hire a pro for their actually wedding. But after the wedding date/honeymoon, you will be willing to do informal shots with them. The best part about this in my opinion is:
1.) You can set a specific time
2.) Schedule around weather
3.) The bride is not going to be as worried about wrecking her dress
4.) Everyone is much more relaxed
5.) You can arrange to go to a perfect shooting location (ie. Field, barn, park etc. etc.)

Mind you, this is advice coming from someone who hastily declined her first option to shoot a wedding in the coming year, so I am probably not the best one to give any ideas :lol:

Peanuts, may be we both just need to grab the bull by the horns!

Hair Bear said:
Peanuts, may be we both just need to grab the bull by the horns!

Good point! With all this talk of not shooting the weddings...everybody has to start somewhere. The only issue I have with this...is make sure you have the equipment. That means a back up camera, flash, lens and plenty of batteries, film/memory etc.

Also, make sure they know your level of expertise and experience. After all, when the wedding is over and done with...what do they really have to remember it...the photos (and 17 kitchen appliances that never leave the box they came in :D )

Big Mike said:
Good point! With all this talk of not shooting the weddings...everybody has to start somewhere. The only issue I have with this...is make sure you have the equipment. That means a back up camera, flash, lens and plenty of batteries, film/memory etc.

Also, make sure they know your level of expertise and experience. After all, when the wedding is over and done with...what do they really have to remember it...the photos (and 17 kitchen appliances that never leave the box they came in :D )

Yes, as I said above, I will take the plunge and get a D80 or 70's so I can see whats happening to the images and will also take the trusty F-601 + film.

Both sets will need battery and will also need memory for the dig, I will also take a laptop for a better look at the images and for basic back up as I go.

They do know my level now and to some extent I have caused my own issues by shooting a family day and getting some great shots! More by luck than judgement.

I do need to decide on a flash stratrgy, that might be a different thread.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back