can you help?

captain-spanky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.higg.co.uk
this post is probably in the wrong place but hey...

I've got a Canon EOS 1000fn and i'm trying to find a fisheye or macro lens for it.... i've looked and looked and can't really find anything suitable and i was wondering if any of you guys knew anything that was going for sale over in the US? The only way i can really afford one is if i can take advantage of the exchange rate... so the US seems the ideal place at the mo...

I think i've managed to score myself a good 67mm polarizing filter for my vivitar lens from my old friend e-bay.. so just looking now for something else like a close up filter or something.. anyone any recommendations?

:D

hi there is a store that sales new and used equipment it is called b and h
the web site is bhphoto.com
hope this helps

u can check there where the person above mentioned, but i think their gonna be a little pricey ... i was looking into a fisheye lens for my canon rebel (film cam) about a month ago ... i think ebay is your best bet for the lowest price ... those darn things are expensive :?

A fisheye or a Macro? You realize they are two completely different critters and that you are not going to get fisheye from a macro and you aren't going to get macro from a fisheye, right? A fisheye lens is a rather specialized thing...it really only has one purpose and that is extreme wide-angle with lots of perspective distortion and vignetting. Straight vertical lines, especially on the edges tend not to be straight any more but sort of converge toward the center. Nearly every dealer carries them, B&H, Adorama...all of them. You can get a good 15mm for $400-$600.

Macros can also be used for standard or short telephoto, depending upon the focal length.

Thanks for moving and helping guys. :D 8)

I meant either a fisheye or a macro lens as in i could only afford one or the other.. :)
I've seen loads of fisheye shots and i love the way everything bends around... I've found a Zenitar 16mm lens up for about $180 that should fit onto my eos with an M42 adaptor or something...
but I think i am getting confused with macro lenses... They are for close up work yeah? so what does the term 'telephoto' actually mean? I've got my stupid head on today... :roll: :p
I've been using an old Praktica Super TL wich has spacer rings on (so i remove the lens, add a ring, replace the lens and i get a real close up image) but I'm wanting something that will do similar on my Canon but maybe have AF on it too ('cos i'm not very quick at focussing)

You can get extension tubes for your Canon or you can get an expensive macro capable lens. You can also get a set of close-up filters. They are like magnifiers that you screw onto the lens like any filter. The quality is not as good as a nice macro lens but can still be very good.

You can also get fish-eye filters that simply screw onto your lens. I have read that these, for the most part, are not very good quality but they will give you the ability to take some "fish-eye" shots for a lot less money than a real fish-eye lens.

Check out the major sellers...B&H, Adorama etc....and e-bay.

captain-spanky said:
Thanks for moving and helping guys. :D 8)

I meant either a fisheye or a macro lens as in i could only afford one or the other.. :)
I've seen loads of fisheye shots and i love the way everything bends around... I've found a Zenitar 16mm lens up for about $180 that should fit onto my eos with an M42 adaptor or something...
but I think i am getting confused with macro lenses... They are for close up work yeah? so what does the term 'telephoto' actually mean? I've got my stupid head on today... :roll: :p
I've been using an old Praktica Super TL wich has spacer rings on (so i remove the lens, add a ring, replace the lens and i get a real close up image) but I'm wanting something that will do similar on my Canon but maybe have AF on it too ('cos i'm not very quick at focussing)

"Telephoto" is a rather loosely used term. It essentially can be anything longer than a "normal" lens, which in 35mm format is normally 50mm. Standard Telephoto is around 135mm. Usually anything between 70 and 135 mm is referred to as "short telephoto". Anything over 135mm is considered "long telephoto", and anything over 300mm is commonly referred to as "super telephoto". Some zoom lenses are now being made in incredible combinations, such as Sigma's 50-500 Zoom. It covers the spectrum from "normal" to "super telephoto".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back