Can you ID this Leica gear?

DirtyDawg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I rescued this lonely camera bag from an estate sale. I only knew enough to know that when I saw Leica I better take a chance. I am in my element with DSLRs but I have no idea how to work this thing or how to tell if it is operable. I'm honestly not really interested in keeping it. Maybe you can help me figure out what I have here, if it works and is there any value here?

Thanks so much!

09e592bfc192e43be1e5d6683e9e55f.jpg

c71b257ba46e487964b064f5d596e3a.jpg

215fd306e9231b412f9f0e9c6624813.jpg

3df62b262cc572dac09d86c75ca9879.jpg

4105253b3b030c1d479d3e9243fb227.jpg

4182e81f937b1ede74f41b7a09abfa2.jpg

dad2b97421b65f1270bf8025de4bc1a.jpg

a41dc6278078710835b8c88c544c92a.jpg

e38092c3d435ffa1b272c1e27bbe658.jpg

19c32c8dff6acd94fa4566f23b85ba0.jpg

b6293281e60a4c4ac150ab9ba9e0d1e.jpg

Last edited:
Most of it should have markings that are obvious. A lot info can be found at

Classic Camera Profiles

Not a big fan of Ken Rockwell but he has a pretty extensive reference for Leica lenses with pictures to help ID.

LEICA Lenses

Leica MR meter. Its selenium based so its possible that its no longer accurate with age.

Leica M2 body. Its a direct descendent of the landmark M3 with a different viewfinder frameline and magnification. It has 35mm framelines. Rangefinder itself looks fogged up in the photos.

Tele-elmar 135mm

Old Leica Flash unit... the strange looking collapsed metal thing below the bulb is its reflector. The actual unit should have the cold shoe attachment below.

The lens attached to the Leica M2 should have markings if you remove the metal lens cap. I'm guessing a 35mm Summaron. The round thing below the leather case is its hood.

Last edited:
do the lenses have any markings on the front?

Ok, anyone want to venture a ballpark value on the entire package? I just don't want to get taken advantage of if I list this for sale. I might start in the correct section of this forum but I'd like to know more before I list such as approx value and any I'll try to figure out using resources above if this is in working order or not. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice find. Potently worth more than just a few hundred dollars.

I have picked up a few cameras at yard sales ETC. I have an old camera checkout procedure.
First thing is to see if it works, but before twisting dials and pushing buttons, look for the manual. Fortunately Mr Butkus has the manual for the Lieca M2 available for download. http://www.cameramanuals.org/leica_pdf/leica_m2.pdf After a bit of familiarization the camera can be operated without film to see if the functions work. Set the shutter speed to 1/2 or 1 second, open the back, verify that the shutter works, lens stops down (if it has that function), etc. On passing, operate the shutter through the range, 1, 1/2, 1/4 ....... Then try it with film.

EBAY is a place to start on price. Some of the prices there are way too high, but gives some idea. KEH, Adorama and B&H buy used gear, checking their prices or getting quotes is certainly a good way to go.

Good luck

Phil

I think I'd be mad to keep it. I was pretty handy with a Minolta SLR before the digital days. Sure I could try the Leica and maybe fall in love but I really have no desire to go back to film. So it would likely just continue to sit indefinitely. I'd rather offer it to someone who would appreciate it for what it is.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll try to check it over soon.

Last edited:
When you check Ebay for pricing info, be sure to look at the sold listings, not just the auctions. You want to check the difference between what something is listed for and what it actually sells for. Sometimes there is a big difference.

I think I'd be mad to keep it. I was pretty handy with a Minolta SLR before the digital days. Sure I could try the Leica and maybe fall in love but I really have no desire to go back to film. So it would likely just continue to sit indefinitely. I'd rather offer it to someone who would appreciate it for what it is.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll try to check it over soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you had been in the UK I would have made you an offer around £1500

That's niiice... I went to an exhibit on Leica cameras and history this past summer, I could've stood there with my nose plastered against the display case but I refrained.

That's niiice... I went to an exhibit on Leica cameras and history this past summer, I could've stood there with my nose plastered against the display case but I refrained.
You would love it at my friends house he has nearly every Leica M (doesn't have all the limited edition) and all slr Leica models, and hundreds of other film cameras

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back