Can you make money selling stock images on sites such as Alamy?

Discussion in 'The Aspiring Professionals Forum' started by Chris1977, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Chris1977

Chris1977 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    That's a bit discouraging but thanks for the advice!

2. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Sorry but the online image sales remind me of the "click" revenue you can make by posting ads on your Web site. The only ones who make any money are the promoters.

Derrel touched on it briefly earlier, there was a time when there was a cost associated with producing the images you put out there. Just think for a minute would you have put those 50 images online if you knew it would cost you $50- $75 to do so. Now anyone with a relatively inexpensive digital camera can be a creative artist putting 1000's of images out there at little if any cost.

The ones I feel sorry for are the photographers that actually made an income from it in the past, but are now forced to take pennies for their work.

The digital age has been a double edge sword for many opening up photography to the masses with a cell phone, but unless you have a really good image or one of a kind, chances are no one will pay for it.

3. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

Top Poster Of Month

Even if you have a great image and use tons of keywords. Your still fighting thousands of pictures with loads of keywords as well.

4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    And if the photo is only selling at £0.10 you've got to make 200 sales to just make £20. So for one print in a fame (sold for a bit more because you've got to get the frame and print it) you could make one sale and still get the same return.

If you wanted £1000 a year you'd have to sell 10,000 photos on the stock market. The idea of actually earning anything that could amount to a meaningful contribution to your income starts to become quite insane when you consider how many thousands of photo licences you'd have to sell.

5. table1349

table1349 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Yes there is money to be made selling stock images to Alamy, if you're Alamy.

• Agree Agree x 2