Can you modify this filter adapter like this?

kovacs22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Is it possible to modify an E. Leitz A36 clamp to 36mm threaded filter adapter, so that the threading appears on the other side? In other words, can you take what's below, unscrew the threaded half, flip it around, and make the threading closer to the edge?

I want to use the adapter to screw down a lens hood but the tapered part looks to be too deep before it reaches the threading on the adapter. There's a flat head screw on the edge as shown on the bottom left of the image below.

Thanks in advance!

upload_2016-4-22_16-50-55.png

First off, your question is not 100% crystal clear, but I 'think' I get what you'd like to achieve.

Two things come to mind, the first being the way older-style filters and accessories used to be connected to lenses, using what was called the Series filter style, with Roman numerals designating the sizes. In the 1930's-1960's, Series filters, + diopter lenses, and some lens hoods were common. The Series filter idea was that a non-threaded filter could be dropped into a receiving ring, and then a top, threaded ring, a retaining ring, would hold the filter in place. You might also just go to Fotodiox and look for a filter reversing ring of the right size. Depends also too on how, exactly, you want to attach the lens hood; gaffer's tape is a viable, practical method in many cases, but it definitely would not have the cachet of a genuine Leitz solution.

First off, your question is not 100% crystal clear, but I 'think' I get what you'd like to achieve.

Two things come to mind, the first being the way older-style filters and accessories used to be connected to lenses, using what was called the Series filter style, with Roman numerals designating the sizes. In the 1930's-1960's, Series filters, + diopter lenses, and some lens hoods were common. The Series filter idea was that a non-threaded filter could be dropped into a receiving ring, and then a top, threaded ring, a retaining ring, would hold the filter in place. You might also just go to Fotodiox and look for a filter reversing ring of the right size. Depends also too on how, exactly, you want to attach the lens hood; gaffer's tape is a viable, practical method in many cases, but it definitely would not have the cachet of a genuine Leitz solution.

Basically I want the front half that's shown in the picture to be flipped 180 degrees. So, the tapered/angled part that leads up to the threaded portion is reversed. The threaded portion would be on the outside and the tapered section would be on the inside. Does that make sense? I see a flat head screw on the adapter. I was wondering if I could simply unscrew that flat head, and flip that front half to get the threads closer to the edge. The other half of the adapter where the "E. Leitz..." text is would not move at all in position, orientation, etc. The front half of the adapter will remain on the front but flipped. Does that make sense?

I'll have to look into that Fotodiox site, thanks.

Here's an article on "series filters"....looks like the Series 5.5 is 35.9mm thread fit. As far as the screw on the ring you have: you might as well try it, since it's in your possession.

Series filter sizes - IV / V / VI / VII / VIII / IX

I understand what you want to do now: my suggestion is that the right size Series filter retaining ring might be used to retain a lens hood, but maybe not using this particular Leitz ring as the basis for that operation. Good luck with this!

Basically I want the front half that's shown in the picture to be flipped 180 degrees. So, the tapered/angled part that leads up to the threaded portion is reversed. The threaded portion would be on the outside and the tapered section would be on the inside. Does that make sense? I see a flat head screw on the adapter. I was wondering if I could simply unscrew that flat head, and flip that front half to get the threads closer to the edge. The other half of the adapter where the "E. Leitz..." text is would not move at all in position, orientation, etc. The front half of the adapter will remain on the front but flipped. Does that make sense?

I'll have to look into that Fotodiox site, thanks.
Those hoods are not threaded the filter fits on the lens

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Here's an article on "series filters"....looks like the Series 5.5 is 35.9mm thread fit. As far as the screw on the ring you have: you might as well try it, since it's in your possession.

Series filter sizes - IV / V / VI / VII / VIII / IX

I understand what you want to do now: my suggestion is that the right size Series filter retaining ring might be used to retain a lens hood, but maybe not using this particular Leitz ring as the basis for that operation. Good luck with this!

Just making sure I'm understanding this correctly - I simply take the filter adapter, attach the Series 5.5 retainer ring, and screw the lens hood into the ring?

Last edited:
This old Leica stuff is a morass of parts, alphabet part names, etc... SOOGZ | eBay

If you insist on sticking with vintage Leica stuff, just buy a copy of the Leitz SOOGZ adapter, and that will give you a 39mm diameter female filter thread on the very front, and then into that, figure out a way to get the exact, specific lens hood you have. We have no idea what lens hood you have...you might need a step ring to get the hood on. The SOOGZ adapter is designed to adapt the A36 filter holder that you have, to the later, 39mm diameter Leica filters.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This old Leica stuff is a morass of parts, alphabet part names, etc... SOOGZ | eBay

If you insist on sticking with vintage Leica stuff, just buy a copy of the Leitz SOOGZ adapter, and that will give you a 39mm diameter female filter thread on the very front, and then into that, figure out a way to get the exact, specific lens hood you have. We have no idea what lens hood you have...you might need a step ring to get the hood on. The SOOGZ adapter is designed to adapt the A36 filter holder that you have, to the later, 39mm diameter Leica filters.

No filter will be attached to the adapter pictured below. I want to attach the 36mm lens hood pictured below to the adapter below. They're both 36mm at the threaded portion. The threaded portion on the adapter is too deep. Originally, I wanted to see if I could simply unscrew the adapter and flip it so that the threaded portion is along the outer edge. But you mentioned a retainer ring to accomplish said goal.

upload_2016-4-22_22-1-6.png

upload_2016-4-22_16-50-55-png.120044

Last edited:
So, does something like this retaining ring shown in the link below essentially act as an extension tube inside the filter adapter pictured in the previous post? Specifically, only the non-text printed part of the two pieces shown in the link below.

Thereby, I can simply screw in the lens hood (also pictured in the previous post)?

Tiffen Series VI or Series 6 adapter & retaining ring w/ 36mm fine threads

Most reactions

Back