Can you overclock your camera?

BLD_007

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sorry for all the threads lately but I have been getting a lot of questions.

Can you overclock your camera like you can a computer?

Just wondering,

Thanks

To what end? Is there an application you want to run faster on your camera?

Faster shutter speed would be the main thing. With the faster shutter the sensor will need more gas as well.

Right?

The shutter is not a electronic device. It is a mechanical device. So I believe the answer is no.

ummm, just wondering here ... has anyone ever used over 1/4000 of a second for an exposure? If so, we're you outside of a controlled studio and were you shooting anything other than a bullet?

Honestly man, there are very few situations that require more than, lets say, 1/1000 of a second shutter speed ... if you get that high than light becomes the issue and not the camera (most can do 1/4000 and some even higher) ...

As for "OVERCLOCKING" the sensor, you will only increase the amount of "Noise" and would probably render the image virtually useless ...

What are you shooting that you feel the need to do this?

Faster shutter speed would be the main thing. With the faster shutter the sensor will need more gas as well.

Right?
1/8000 isn't fast enough? How fast do you think you need your shutter to be?

Well he's obviously visiting the sun so he's going to need f/100 at 1/100000 to get anywhere near correct.:lol:

Really though 1/4000-1/8000 isn't enough? I mean have you even gotten out there and had actual results that showed that it didn't work??

ummm, just wondering here ... has anyone ever used over 1/4000 of a second for an exposure? If so, we're you outside of a controlled studio and were you shooting anything other than a bullet?

Honestly man, there are very few situations that require more than, lets say, 1/1000 of a second shutter speed ... if you get that high than light becomes the issue and not the camera (most can do 1/4000 and some even higher) ...

As for "OVERCLOCKING" the sensor, you will only increase the amount of "Noise" and would probably render the image virtually useless ...

I guess what I meant FPS. Like 10+ frames a second. I'm only at like 5.6 with my 50d.

I guess what I meant FPS. Like 10+ frames a second. I'm only at like 5.6 with my 50d.
No. The shutter on the 50D couldn't handle it. It would take more than simple "over clocking" (whatever that may be in terms of camera equipment) and would require completely redesigning the existing system.

has anyone ever used over 1/4000 of a second for an exposure? If so, we're you outside of a controlled studio and were you shooting anything other than a bullet?
Broad daylight and f1.4 :D

Must be that TEXAS sun you've got down there .... :lol: ....

Wait a second ... *grabbing my trusty Nikon flashlight pen and scribbling furiously* ... you're a bit off in your calculation .... it's f/1.8 at 1/4000 ... I guess you could use 1/8000 at f/1.4 though .... :thumbup::lmao:

Overclocking the camera - I would guess this would be pushing the processor faster so as to process RAW and JPEG images a lot quicker - would not work well. As cited the frames per second is limited by the mechanical nature of the camera shutter itself. However as well as that you have the write speed to the cameras memory card (limted by the cards speed and the cameras native writing speed) so even if you could speed up the processing side the buffer of the camera would not get much bigger.

Suffice to say that overclocking is not really a high possibilty.

However flash dominant photography of subjects like insects, birds bullets and waterdrops can benefit from a faster shutter - the best method for that is an external shutter that is faster. You then set the camera to bulb mode and use the external shutter (no light gets into the camera whilst the shutter is open so only when the exteral shutter triggors does the sensor get exposed to light. You could also use slower 1, 2 or several second exposures for a similar effect if you could control your subject.

StopShot - Our Vision
has some more info on the uses and devices for highspeed photography.

The shutter speed is an aspect of exposure, faster isn't necessarily better. As mentioned, on these cameras it's an physical curtain, not a computer program.

The shooting rate (FPS) is a matter of how fast the shutter (and possibly the mirror) can reset and fire repeatedly. Again, this is a physics issue, not really computer/processor related.

Although, there are some Nikon DSLR cameras that can shoot faster when they have the battery grip installed. Maybe this is a throwback to the old days when you could get a 'power booster' on your camera, allowing the film to wind automatically or faster than normal.

I have said this many times " FPS does not matter timing is more important because you only need one frame to get the shots"

I have said this many times " FPS does not matter timing is more important because you only need one frame to get the shots"

but in sports, you need that 10fps to get that right fram.

Most reactions

Back