Can you recommend a camera strap?

ScottWy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After Ohhing and Ahhing over my new D700, I finally found something to complain about. I hate the camera strap that comes with it. It gets all twisted up, and is not really long enough to suit me.

Does anyone use a strap they would not be without? I need to replace what I have ASAP.

I do love that D700. It is far more camera than I have a right to own!

black rapid makes a really popular strap.

I've been using a RapidR strap for quite a while and would find a hard time living without it. I absolutely love mine and will probably pick up a second one soon since I just got a second body.

Another vote for the Balck Rapid strap. Worth every penny.

Optech strap!
Pro & Pro Loop Strap | Demo Page

fantasticly comfortably and far better than either hte canon or nikon own brand straps. Also the clips are tough and quickly let you remove the main body of the strap (say if you are doing tripod work where the regular stap will get in the way) - the little ends of the strap still attached to hte camera will clip together as well so that they don't wave around

Another vote for Black Rapid. They're a bit pricey, but they sure are comfortable. I've got the R5 personally. I heard some stories about the fastener failing, but I think that was with their earlier model. As a former rock climber, I always try to have a backup for anything like that in case it fails. As such, I took a second tiny caribeaner and fastened it as well just in case. I think it's just paranoia and I'll probably remove it after a while. I attach mine to the d ring that is part of my quick release plate for my manfrotto tripod though instead of their ring just so I don't have to constantly switch back and fourth.
Great strap though.

BlackRapid.com

I just got a black rapid rs7 strap for my B-Day and Im not sold on it yet. I really dont like how it connects to the tripod hole on bottom of the camera. I to am also paranoid that while walking around the screw will unscrew and the camera will fall. Im going to give it a couple of more days but I will probaly will return it. I would really like the Canon strap if it wasn't for the back side of the strap with the rubber on it. It makes my neck really hot and sweaty here in Texas!

i bought a cheap hand strap for ebay, god i love it, way better than a neck strap

I like the Op/Tech USA brand straps for my heavier cameras...very comfortable neoprene construction makes the felt weight much lower than with solid nylon or leather straps. I've been using the Op/Tech brand straps since they first hit the market. They are made very well. I do appreciate the design idea underlying the Black Rapid style of strap, buy I really like the weight reduction effect the neoprene Op/Tech straps give.

I to am also paranoid that while walking around the screw will unscrew and the camera will fall.

The screw that goes in should have a rubber gasket. If you wet it slightly and give it a good crank at the end, it's not going anywhere. My concern was the locking caribeaner, but I think the issues that were noted on the internet were on the old design, not the new one. I've used mine for over a year, and like it more each time I use it.

I loved my Op/Tech strap on my 30D, so I bought another when I got my 7D -- still love it. It's far more comfortable than the OEM.

After Ohhing and Ahhing over my new D700, I finally found something to complain about. I hate the camera strap that comes with it. It gets all twisted up, and is not really long enough to suit me.

Does anyone use a strap they would not be without? I need to replace what I have ASAP.

I do love that D700. It is far more camera than I have a right to own!

How do you want to carry the camera? Around the neck in a traditional fashion the OP tech is a comfortable strap that is a bit longer than the regular straps.

If you are a shoulder carrier then a standard strap should do. I like the standard Canon pro strap. Good grip on the shoulder and the QR clips are handy.

Most of the time I have one body on a Rapid strap hanging on my left side while shooting sports. The other body has no strap since it is on a 400mm f2.8.

Like lenses different straps for different functions.

+1 for black rapid

only thing though, be aware of your camera, I lost a lens cap + eyepiece while using the black rapid as it is on my hip instead of infront of me.

I just picked up a black rapid rs-7 to replaced my op/tech pro loop neck strap. I really like the comfort and design of the rs. Glad I gave it a try.

Most reactions

Back