Canada Travels.

Taylor Napper AFP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone!

I'm new to this forum so I'll start off by sharing a bit about myself.

I was born and have lived Australia my whole life and just recently, back in October, my partner and I decided we'd had enough of our town and decided to fly away.
Since October, I've been living in Banff and working at a beautiful ski resort. Whenever I get the chance, I've taken out my camera to get a few shots. I'm very amateur at photography and it's only something I've gotten into since I left.

Any advice about my pictures would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Welcome!

A little explanation of what we're looking at would be very much appreciated. Not a "title", but what, where, who, etc.
Thank you!
It wouldn't let me place these in an edit for the original post.

1st picture, Bow river, Banff, Alberta.
2nd Picture, Columbia Ice Fields, Jasper National Park, Alberta.
3rd Picture, Picture, Columbia Ice Fields, Jasper National Park, Alberta.
4th picture, Bow river, Banff, Alberta.

So I was wondering what everyone thinks about the aperture settings (if enough is in focus) or if the picture is over or under exposed and just the general positioning of the photos.

Welcome!

A little explanation of what we're looking at would be very much appreciated. Not a "title", but what, where, who, etc.
Thank you!

So I was wondering what everyone thinks about the aperture settings (if enough is in focus) or if the picture is over or under exposed and just the general positioning of the photos.

Your composition is fine. as for apertures without knowing what lens and aperture setting that is a difficult one to comment on! ;) Been years since I was up around Banff. You have never seen the Rocky Mountains until you get up to the Canadian Rockies! Post a couple of Lake Louise to. ...and if you need some heat just drop over the mountain to Radium Hot Springs!

Welcome!

Thank you!

Your composition is fine. as for apertures without knowing what lens and aperture setting that is a difficult one to comment on! ;) Been years since I was up around Banff. You have never seen the Rocky Mountains until you get up to the Canadian Rockies! Post a couple of Lake Louise to. ...and if you need some heat just drop over the mountain to Radium Hot Springs!

I haven't been able to get to Lake Louise on a clear day, nor have I been their whilst its been melted. However, I would love to take some photos around there and especially at Moraine Lake as well. Here are the ones I did take though.

I've been to Lake Louise in the summer and the sky looks the same as in your shots.

For the initial set I think they are great shots. I made a few comments as you requested...
1) I think the foreground is still a bit dark, or it is just that there is a lot of bright sky pulling my attention there. Also feel that I want to be closer to those slabs of rock in the foreground.
2) Seems a bit underexposed, probably due to the snow. I also feel like I want to see where the tracks change direction on the right side of the photo. Great idea overall.
3) Favorite shot.
4) Another nice shot, lifting some shadows and a bit more contrast would be about all I would do to it. Along with cloning out the dot in the sky in the top middle. Here you were at 18mm and so instead of f/20 I would probably go with f/11 as that will still give you around 2 meters to infinity in focus (focus closer-in so the rocks underwater are in focus) and f/11 would let you use a faster shutter speed (1/100 instead of 1/30).

Also, have you updated your cameras time for Canada, or is it still on Australia time?

Welcome aboard.

It's beautiful area, enjoy it.

I've been to Lake Louise in the summer and the sky looks the same as in your shots.

For the initial set I think they are great shots. I made a few comments as you requested...
1) I think the foreground is still a bit dark, or it is just that there is a lot of bright sky pulling my attention there. Also feel that I want to be closer to those slabs of rock in the foreground.
2) Seems a bit underexposed, probably due to the snow. I also feel like I want to see where the tracks change direction on the right side of the photo. Great idea overall.
3) Favorite shot.
4) Another nice shot, lifting some shadows and a bit more contrast would be about all I would do to it. Along with cloning out the dot in the sky in the top middle. Here you were at 18mm and so instead of f/20 I would probably go with f/11 as that will still give you around 2 meters to infinity in focus (focus closer-in so the rocks underwater are in focus) and f/11 would let you use a faster shutter speed (1/100 instead of 1/30).

Also, have you updated your cameras time for Canada, or is it still on Australia time?

Thanks for the feedback!
For picture 1, after looking at the picture again, I feel like sharper rocks with a bit more exposure as you explained, could make the image pop a bit more.
For picture 2, the tracks, if they were to continue, would head up to the glaciers.
I think picture 3 is my favourite photo so far!
With picture 4, I took this as a long exposure of maybe 25-30 seconds with a 9 stop neutral density filter.

You seem to have a speck of dust on your sensor at the 12:00 position. I would consider cloning that out on the images where it shows, and possibly giving the old sensor a (proper) scrubbing.

Some of these shots are real winners... thanks for posting!

You seem to have a speck of dust on your sensor at the 12:00 position. I would consider cloning that out on the images where it shows, and possibly giving the old sensor a (proper) scrubbing.

Some of these shots are real winners... thanks for posting!

Thank you!
It seems to only appear on certain images, it doesn't show up on all for some reason, any suggestions for that? Will give it a good scrub.

Nice pictures!

Most reactions

Back