Canadian Raptor Conservancy Photo Shoot (aka, my time spent with the zombie family)

i know that you know the difference i did that on a different bird before

So, I was right, it was you (see my response in zombiesniper's post). Nice shots as well, #6 is probably my favourite in this group.

WesternGuy

So, I was right, it was you (see my response in zombiesniper's post). Nice shots as well, #6 is probably my favourite in this group.

WesternGuy
Thank you. I didn't see your response, will have to go look.

Nice set! Particularly the 2nd. Would like to have seen them a bit larger.
Thank you. I would have liked them larger too. Unfortunately, for reasons I can't figure out, my computer will not read the canon CR2 files. I tried all day yesterday. I tried Lightroom, Photoshop, Adobe DNG converter and multiple other programs. The files are there, they show the right size but nothing will read them. I spent several hours yesterday trying to rectify it. The only thing that finally worked was a program that unfortunately would only convert them to jpeg. And small jpegs. Trust me, there's a few I would have loved to print large. Even Zombiesniper tried to help. Nothing worked.
This is really strange. Did you ever resolve this? If not, then let me ask a few questions as I have never heard of this before. I have never had this problem and I have been using digital for about 10 years and have had five different Canon cameras, and two desktops, two laptops and a Notebook, and have never had this problem.

Which Canon camera(s) do you have? What versions of Lightroom, Photoshop and Adobe DNG do you have? How are you moving your files from your camera to your computer?

One of the reasons that these programs may not read your CR2 files is that the camera is not recognized by the software. I know that they are Canon files, are supposedly the same from one computer to another, but I do wonder if they are always exactly the same. The other problem I have had, on one or two occasions was a corrupt card reader, but that was easily solved.

One thought, have you tried moving the files off the card by simply copying the images to a folder on your computer? If they copy properly and are recognizable as CR2 files, then try importing them into Lightroom by using the ADD part of the import function in the Library module. If this works, then I am at a loss to explain what your problem was. If it doesn't, then you may have a card reader problem.

Another question, did you have your camera record your images as raw. I know this may sound silly, but I have done that once (only once!) because I didn't have the record mode reset from an earlier shoot where I was shooting only jpgs.

Let me know how its going, assuming you haven't had this problem solved by now.

WesternGuy

Nice set! Particularly the 2nd. Would like to have seen them a bit larger.
Thank you. I would have liked them larger too. Unfortunately, for reasons I can't figure out, my computer will not read the canon CR2 files. I tried all day yesterday. I tried Lightroom, Photoshop, Adobe DNG converter and multiple other programs. The files are there, they show the right size but nothing will read them. I spent several hours yesterday trying to rectify it. The only thing that finally worked was a program that unfortunately would only convert them to jpeg. And small jpegs. Trust me, there's a few I would have loved to print large. Even Zombiesniper tried to help. Nothing worked.
This is really strange. Did you ever resolve this? If not, then let me ask a few questions as I have never heard of this before. I have never had this problem and I have been using digital for about 10 years and have had five different Canon cameras, and two desktops, two laptops and a Notebook, and have never had this problem.

Which Canon camera(s) do you have? What versions of Lightroom, Photoshop and Adobe DNG do you have? How are you moving your files from your camera to your computer?

One of the reasons that these programs may not read your CR2 files is that the camera is not recognized by the software. I know that they are Canon files, are supposedly the same from one computer to another, but I do wonder if they are always exactly the same. The other problem I have had, on one or two occasions was a corrupt card reader, but that was easily solved.

One thought, have you tried moving the files off the card by simply copying the images to a folder on your computer? If they copy properly and are recognizable as CR2 files, then try importing them into Lightroom by using the ADD part of the import function in the Library module. If this works, then I am at a loss to explain what your problem was. If it doesn't, then you may have a card reader problem.

Another question, did you have your camera record your images as raw. I know this may sound silly, but I have done that once (only once!) because I didn't have the record mode reset from an earlier shoot where I was shooting only jpgs.

Let me know how its going, assuming you haven't had this problem solved by now.

WesternGuy

Not resolved. Camera was Canon 7D Mk2. (I believe. It's Zombiesniper's camera). Images were shot in raw. I have Lightroom 5. I downloaded the latest stand alone version of Photoshop and Adobe DNG converter v. 9.5.1.
I copied the pictures from the memory card to the external as I always do. No program would read them. DNG says there were no files.
I copied the pictures from the memory card directly to my laptop. Same issue.
Tried opening all the pictures directly from the memory card. Same issue.
Tried adding using lightroom. Same issue. I simply cannot open the files. They show as large size, about the size I would expect.
The only thing I can think of is that one of the cards was used to shoot with both the canon and the nikon. However, that can't be the issue as one of the cards was used to shoot ONLY canon and it won't read those either.
I had no issue importing the nikon pictures from the same card and other cards so not so sure it's a card reader issue.

That is really strange. Have you tried contacting the card manufacturer? I would be doing that if this was my problem. Do you have image recovery software? Probably won't recover the raw files, though it may, but it should allow you to recover any good-size jpgs that are on the card.

Have you tried another card reader, just to make sure it isn't a reader issue.

If this ever gets resolved and I do really hope it does, post back and let us all know what the ultimate solution proves to be. Thanks.

Best of luck,

WesternGuy

Thanks. And yes, I've tried a different card reader. Same issue. I would think if it was a card issue, the files wouldn't be showing the size that they are. I've hard the card for awhile and have no other issues. I'll drop the manufacturer an email tomorrow though, thanks for the suggestion. I swear technology just hates me.

I'm going to hang on to the files and next time I visit the zombie family, zombiesniper is going to see if he can do something with them. I'll let you know if we make any progress.

Naw, I don't think technology hates you, although sometimes I think it just wants to screw with my mind. :biggrin-93:

WesternGuy

Great photos, and it sound like you had a fun time with the zombies! :)

Great photos, and it sound like you had a fun time with the zombies! :)

Thank you! And I had a fantastic time with the zombies. They acted nothing like the zombies you see on tv, thankfully!

Thank you! And I had a fantastic time with the zombies. They acted nothing like the zombies you see on tv, thankfully!

The media always blows everything out of proportion!:biglaugh:

Well yes , yes you will! Now that I can finally open them thanks to your help! Thanks for the subtle reminder!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back