Candid Portrait

theusher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was photographing my parents new puppy, and I decided to check for reactions of my family instead of taking the umpteenth picture of the dog. I thought this one came out very well, a nice mixture of true emotion and color. Since the lighting in the space was poor, I had to bounce my flash off the ceiling. I would like to hear your opinions of it, good or bad. ;)

(click the picture to see it larger)

I like the DOF also. the colors are good too. and yeah, maybe a little more off of the top might be better.

Appreciate the comments, I'll look into the crop idea, thanks. :)

just wanted to let you know... I have been thinking about your picture this evening... and it makes me so geeked about getting a flash that bounces off the ceiling. To see what that can produce is so cool! Thanks for sharing your picture.

definetly good. its a cool picture...i wood guess the guy's looking at the dog but it almost looks like theres nothing distracting him...like he's just laughing. i may b crazy. but its good.

I want a flash other than the one that is in my camera! *pout*

But I would crop this for sure.
For me there is no doubt this one needs a crop.
And it should be in People and Pets.
So I think it will move over now ;).

So would you suggest an irregular size crop, (ie just taking a little off the top) or going tighter all over with the shot?

And yes being able to aim the flash is huge imo. I also have a light sphere for it, but it was not on at the time I had left it home.

Well, if you don't mind "sacrificing" his one knee, then I would crop in from above and from the left to his shoulder ... this is me speculating about it, I haven't done the crop as yet other than in my mind, so I don't know if it still looks good.... :scratch:

Thanks for the suggestion. I think the flare was actually the tv set reflecting in the window. Doesn't look too hard to remove.

I take that back. With my meagerly horrid photoshop skills, I cannot so much as remove that flair with the clone tool. It just ends up looking worse than if I leave it there. I'm so annoyed with myself right now, the stupid flair can stay there.

When I get one like this, I frist plumb any verticle lines in the area where the work is to done by rotating the canvas. If necessary, I rotate the image back to it's original orientation after completing the work.

Attachments

• $394713422_78aae952f4_o.jpg
    $394713422_78aae952f4_o.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 116
Wow, great job. When I tried using the clone stamp, it ended up discoloring the blinds. Do you mind providing me with some other hints to help me along using the clone tool?

Do you mind providing me with some other hints to help me along using the clone tool?

I don't mind... it's just that I don't know that much. I'm self-taught, and that's just on a need-to-know basis.

I suppose the most important thing I learned in PS is to use the fade command in the edit menu. I didn't use it here, but I use it lot.

Pete

Most reactions

Back