"Candid" Portraits of my little girl.....

rwebbart

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Are these too "yellow". They were meant to have a "Mood", but I am afraid they are a little too warm.

311762923_db52f04e2e.jpg

311762852_ff38d86ddf.jpg

311762748_e32bd3f564.jpg

The colors are fine with me. I like that these really are portrait type shots ie quality photos about the subject. I cringed when I saw that candid portrait title on the thread. I was expecting a poorly lit shot of a person that was more candid than portriat. I was VERY pleasantly surprised.

thanks

i agree with the above two, very nice shots. the color is great.

No. Not too yellow.
Just Right.
And she is pretty ... but WHAT are you letting her DO!?!?!? :shock:

;)

Nice scene, well lit, I say. I quite like the kind of unusual light here!

On my monitor (h/w calibrated), it actually looks like there is too little yellow and too much red and blue. I like and adjustment of -10 red and -20 blue on that first one. Let me know if you want me to post and edit.

I like the shots. One suggestion I have is to get down closer to their head level when shooting kids, unless the intent is to show what "being above" implies. I find that being level is much more intimate and generates a closer connection with the subject. For me, the height of these shots become more about a kid messing with daddy's camera than sharing in the joy of something curly.

I know what marc is saying about the shooting possition changing the feel of the image and usually when it is objectionable it jumps out at me and this one didn't so I guess it worked for me the way it is. It does lend more to the he is about to stop her, than the camera in your hand being more of the conspiracy to play with a forbidden object. the later is the feeling you would probably create with the lower camera angle

I guess I shouldn't have stated that as a suggestion and put it more as a possible option, because it really does depend on what you want to portray. My personal preference is towards the "being with them" feel, but that's my own taste. Another option is to try looking down on her even more. That could result in an even more humorous feel, especially if she were looking up with those innocent eyes.

I love the picture itself but the lighting is a bit intersting...it almost looks like it was taken along time ago and scanned in...i cant quite put my finger on it......its a good photo though

She is adorable! Did she enjoy playing with that camera? Maybe she'll follow in your footsteps! :)

Thanks everyone. These were supposed to look like they could have been taken yesterday, or 30 years ago. I was going for an aged, or maybe cross processed look.

As for the color........
I just installed a new hard drive and had to re-install my system. I am ashamed to say I forgot to calibrate my monitor.

As for the angle............
I shot from above because of the background, and because of Rylee's personality. The background, if shot from head level would have been too distracting, but the main reason for shooting them this way, is because I am always catching her getting into something. She sneaks of into my studio several times a week and before I can get to her she has a $30 tube of paint or a $60 dollar brush in her hands. Unlike most kids she doesn't get startled when I walk in saying "put that down!, No!", she just gives me this look like "you are inturupting me dad" (the look in the first picture.)
That's why the first picture is all of my freinds and family's favorite. Because she is giving that "Rylee, Look".....

I wanted a certain "look", that I didn't quite get because of a few factors. She got in the room and started playing before I was set up and could get light bounced in on the right. I was also a 2nd light short from my original plan, but for some reason I love the result......

Most reactions

New Topics

Back