Candlelight

Blackswann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Candlelight photography has always fascinated me, can anyone tell me how this could be improved, I feel it is lacking something... please be constructive.

BonnieCandle2.jpg

I think it's a cool idea. Maybe it's lacking the dramatic effect you're looking for. You might try either croping it much closer, or much much wider, depending on the emotion you want to convey. Actually much wider might look cool with all the blackness around the subject.

I agree.. Its a cool idea, but to me it looks kind of like the woman is pulling her face back, like a face lift if you know what I mean LoL.

I love the candle light portarits but only when the mode isn't looking straight on the lens. You know, some kind of shots, when the photographer is "hidden" and model "doesn't know" about you.

You have to be careful with candles. We think they give out soft light because they are quite dim, but to the camera they are point source so the light is actually hard and can give nasty shadows.
You can actually use reflectors to bounce light back in, or use other candles out of shot to soften everything or put more detail in the shadows if you want.
Personally I would try playing around with another candle just behind her head to give some rim lighting to her hair and make her seperate from the background (not too much though).
Because of what she is doing with her hands it does seem to be pulling her eyes up. And there is an annoying light oblong just right of centre at the bottom. Can't quite see what is causing it.
Not bad though

Well, I can see that you're trying to create drama with the candle, but you have the candle positioned wrong.

You have is below and in front of the girl. If you want stark shadows, you're going to have to ask your model to be brave and put her face directly above the candle and quite close to it.

But I'm not sure if that's what you're going for.

Newbie Alert : With the candle light, you don't have to use flash or else the effects wouldn't be as good, right?

scuse my noob stupidity :(

PS how long was the exposure?

luv dami

I just noticed, I don't know if anyone else can see it, but if you look at the two arms they look as if they don't belong to the girl, almost as if they are coming from the candle...?

chrism said:
I just noticed, I don't know if anyone else can see it, but if you look at the two arms they look as if they don't belong to the girl, almost as if they are coming from the candle...?

Too much Christmas spirit, I think :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back