Candlelit wedding - need tips!

JoshE

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay, so a buddy of mine asks me to do his wedding pics for him. Cool, i think, so i say yes. it's my first. But then he tells me it's in the evening, inside our church foyer (lots of large glass windows) and then this: they are going to be surrounded by 60 lit candles. Those being the only source of light. HMMMM.... right. Talk about not much light at all. I do need some advice for this. I'm using my Nikon N65 35mm. I know i'm gonna need a tripod. Do ya'll have any film speed recommendations? I wonder if i need some flash that i can angle the light away slightly? Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance
Josh

if you dont have a pretty fast lens (at LEAST f2.8) you'll want to use a pretty high film speed (800) in order to get acceptable shutter speeds. Alot of people dont appreciate flashes going off during the actual wedding ceremonies I've heard, so that might be something you should ask your friend. A grainy black and white theme can be nice, but depends on their opinion. If they like that type of gritty photojournalistic style, you could use 1600 bw film or 400 speed bw film pushed two stops. Heck, you could use 3200 film, even pushed a stop or two (but that would be pretty dang grainy). A tripod is a big help, but only if the subjects are still.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm gonna go with the 800 for just one roll during the ceremony. After that, i'll just go with 200 and flash for the posing shots. Hopefully it'll go well. Thanks again

Josh

Is it worth doing a test?

Is there going to be another photographer at the wedding?

You can buy 100 tealight candles for a couple of £.

If there isnt another photographer, its probably best to get it right. They wont be doing it again................ hopefully!

exciting!! :thumbsup:
but, do it only if you feel confident. the event cannot be restaged.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back