Candy!!

jensgt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Had an idea last night to do some photography with candy...went out today and got some stuff to work with and took a few pics today. Still have more I want to do but my cat Nannerpuss decided to intervene and so I got a couple cute pics of her too but will have to put off the rest of the candy project until later.

C&C welcome!!! I would love to get more into this..

4365906275_2608ac5cf0_b.jpg

4366680814_498cfa8521_b.jpg

4366596038_3f97885178_o.jpg

4365859515_6e7d42bf30_b.jpg

4365890791_fc838785af_b.jpg

And one of the kitty for fun.

4366621164_e09aec8c60_b.jpg

I'm not a good photographer yet, so I'm not comfortable giving out any real critiques in case they're wrong. :) But these photos make me happy to look at, except not really the last black and white one of the kisses. And the sunflower one is pretty original; I've seen candy pictures but never one quite like that.

So I like them. :)

First thing that comes to mind after scrolling through is, Depth of Field issues. Next would be inconsistent lighting with hot spots.

#1 has good composition, you fit it all in there with a nice angle.
#2 has fairly poor lighting, and the focus missed the mark in my opinion. I would probably have stopped down and had the whole "flower" in focus.
#3 Least favorite, if you're going to try that, bring the angle down a bit and make sure the front 3 are tack sharp. Your white balance is also off, and watch the saturation and shadows.
#4 More of the kiss in front should be sharp, the white balance is off a bit, but it's better then #3.
#5 My favorite shot, but you need to work again, on the DOF and the lighting. You back lit theses so the shadow is coming towards us, putting the camera side of the kisses in the dark, limiting your view of them. To fix the darkness you probably adjust the shutter and caused the blown highlights. I would retry this one.
#6 More light on the angry kitties eyes. Make sure if nothing else, they are tack sharp. Nice composure though.

Kittie looks like a stuffed animal (I love cats!!!).

For some reason the cat looks artificial which is almost impossible to create intentionally.

Love the mean look on its face!

In #5 I'd try to re-position the individual candy pieces and give them more space in between to seperate them with more white space in between. I think the DOF effect would be emphasized that way.

Right now it looks a bit cramped together and hard to make out which wrapper belongs to which candy.

I like #1 and #2 (maybe a big overdone)

#3 and #4 over processed IMHO. Personal taste...

Thanks everybody! And some good advice that will help me for my next round of candy fun. :)

These are some really cool concepts and fun! Play with the candy some more, you'll get more and more ideas and get better and better shots..
I LOVE #1 the best, I only wish all of the gum drops were in focus but that is only MHO, I don't know too much about techniques yet..
I also like the B&W of the kisses.. it gives a nice contrast between the wrapper and the kiss.
Overall, awesome idea, I may steal your idea in the future. Extremely creative!

Most reactions

Back