Canister swapping

Battou

TPF junkie!
Reaction score
Website
www.photo-lucidity.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have not loaded a canister in years, I used to do it all the time and did it well. Given the fact I have not done it in so long I am curious as to what to expect if I made a mistake during a canister swap I did the other night? I know there are a hand full of possibilities but any one know for sure?

canister, do you mean a film cartridge?

if the cartidge is DX coded you may have an issue if you can't over ride the DX by changing the ISO manually. Most modern cameras will default to an ISO of 100 if there isn't a code and again this all can be corrected by manually chaning the ISO .

canister, do you mean a film cartridge?

if the cartidge is DX coded you may have an issue if you can't over ride the DX by changing the ISO manually. Most modern cameras will default to an ISO of 100 if there isn't a code and again this all can be corrected by manually chaning the ISO .

they both (rolls of film) are DX coded and my camera dose have a Manual ISO setting, but truth be told I side stepped that portion of the equation by using the same ISO.

What exactly do you mean? Are you wondering if you fogged the 100 foot reel of film when you took the film from the bulk canister, and loaded it into the bulk loader?

Or when you spooled the film from the bulk loader to the film cassette?

Or when you loaded the exposed film onto the reels from the cassette?

What exactly do you mean? Are you wondering if you fogged the 100 foot reel of film when you took the film from the bulk canister, and loaded it into the bulk loader?

Or when you spooled the film from the bulk loader to the film cassette?

Or when you loaded the exposed film onto the reels from the cassette?

I don't think he said anything about fogging the film. I think he was talking about not knowing what ISO the film canister was rated at.

Other than ann, you are all missunderstanding me, but that is prolly due to the habits of the teacher I had as well as my tendancy to underexplain things. Never mind It's really not all that important.

Basically what I was saying was I went and switched the caseings of two rolls of film by hand in a bag, given how long it has been since I have done this I wanted to know what could happen if I made a mistake was all.

What "mistake" did you make? You can't really go wrong. There's only one way to do it, really.

What "mistake" did you make? You can't really go wrong. There's only one way to do it, really.

Yes it is an easy task that would take some work to screw up and I am fairly certain I made no mistake, The only thing I did that I think could grant any possibility of exposure was the fact I had to stop and make sure I had the right one and pulled the case out to look at it due to ceribrial flatchulance. I wanted to make sure I was putting the three dollar roll of film into the case from the one dollar roll and not back into the one it came from. I just wanted to know just into be safe

So, let me see if I understand this.

You took film that was factory loaded in one cassette, and loaded it into another, empty cassette?

Pray tell...WHY?

You took film that was factory loaded in one cassette, and loaded it into another, empty cassette?

Pray tell...WHY?

Close enought to call right, I switched two rolls of film that where factory loaded in cassettes, putting store brand film into a brand name case and visa versa.

I intend to when the time is right, but untill then I wish to keep secret

The obvious reason is to fool the lab, for one reason or another - like a sort or rudimentary quality check; or to get them to develop a film that they would normally refuse to develop in the way requested. It's not unknown...

Best,
Helen

Hell, that's a good idea. I'm begging to get the Longs Drugs to cross process my film.

The obvious reason is to fool the lab, for one reason or another - like a sort or rudimentary quality check; or to get them to develop a film that they would normally refuse to develop in the way requested. It's not unknown...

Best,
Helen

That's a fantastic idea! I've been wanting to fool my local lab, too.

Pray tell...WHY?

I do it all the time, for a number of reasons. I don't need to fool my lab though. They're awesome.

One reason I do this is to test cameras. Instead of wasting an entire roll of film, I just divide a roll between three or four canisters.

There's one other reason I do this, but since it's the only other reason I can think of, I'm not going to say it. I don't want to risk ruining Battou's surprise. If he's doing what I think he's doing, it will be worth the wait. :sexywink:

Most reactions

Back