Cannary

MitchDeYoung

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
2481343997_f43319e43f.jpg

Shot with my Bronica SQ-A and tri-x 320 @ 800. Developed in Tmax dev for 10:45.

I personally would suggest viewing the large version http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/2481343997_f43319e43f_b.jpg

and commenting/ faving on flickr ;)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mitchelldeyoung/2481343997/

I'm having problems giving you criticism, as everything I know (so far) about composition seems to be more than adequately addressed. Hopefully someone at a more advanced level than me can give you advice on how to make this image even better (if it can be).

BTW, welcome to the board!

I opened this thread and expected a bird. As in canary.

Then I realized that I'm a idiot! Haha :lol:

Scott: you're not alone. If that is any help.
And now I know that I don't know what a "cannary" is ... so this is one for me to go and look up.

I can't say anything about the camera, film and development method, I know next to nothing about film photography, but I can say that I really like what I see here. There are many interesting elements there. Exposure of bright and shadowed parts looks perfect. The play of light and shadow is interesting. I love the elements of repetition as represented by the columns?/props? (don't know which word applies), the converging lines of the roof construction, the diagonals that go through the image, and the straightness of the window squares and columns/props.

Just wondering how much more of a story would have been told here if (by chance) there had been something abandoned on that floor somewhere. A forgotten, punctured ball. A bicycle, all rusty. A cloth of piece of clothes ...

And in my wonderings I'm asking myself: how "legitimate" would it be to find a location such as this one, to think "a 'stage prop' would be cool", and to put one there???

Ah!
Looked up the word!
Should spell "cannery" ... place where they put things into tins/cans to preserve them.

Scott: you're not alone. If that is any help.
And now I know that I don't know what a "cannary" is ... so this is one for me to go and look up.

I can't say anything about the camera, film and development method, I know next to nothing about film photography, but I can say that I really like what I see here. There are many interesting elements there. Exposure of bright and shadowed parts looks perfect. The play of light and shadow is interesting. I love the elements of repetition as represented by the columns?/props? (don't know which word applies), the converging lines of the roof construction, the diagonals that go through the image, and the straightness of the window squares and columns/props.

Just wondering how much more of a story would have been told here if (by chance) there had been something abandoned on that floor somewhere. A forgotten, punctured ball. A bicycle, all rusty. A cloth of piece of clothes ...

And in my wonderings I'm asking myself: how "legitimate" would it be to find a location such as this one, to think "a 'stage prop' would be cool", and to put one there???

Ah!
Looked up the word!
Should spell "cannery" ... place where they put things into tins/cans to preserve them.

ah well i knew it was close to being spelt right. I didnt feel safe putting anything on the floor seeing as how it was breaking and collapsing down into the level below :). Any other criticism on here or my flickr(http://www.flivkr.vom/photos/mitchelldeyoung) would be greatly appreciated seeing as how i have only been into photography for about 2 or 3 months.

I opened this thread and expected a bird. As in canary.

Then I realized that I'm a idiot! Haha :lol:

I expected a bird too, and I still couldn't figure out why it was called "cannary" untill I read your post! :lmao:

As for the picture-I love it! I'm not an expert or anything on B&W, but it looks pretty legit to me.

I think this is well-done for all the usual technical reasons but the composition feels incomplete, as if you had arbitrarily cut off the left margin.

The light coming through the ceiling at the right is sort of distracting as it competes with the main part of the very geometric composition.

It might work well to print another flipped horizontally and butt the two prints. That would complete the geometry of the one picture.

Most reactions

Back