cannon eos lenses

bazza

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just to make sure before I buy a cannon eos 350d. Will the lenses of my old 35mm cannon eos 500n fit the new digital..

I have been told they will but i'd like more opinions on the matter..

Can anybody help please.. ta..

yeah, i believe so. As long as they are EF lenses and not FD then you should be set to go. the 350d is apparently one of the finest there are. good luck.

thank you.. they are both EF 35-80mm and 75-300mm ultrasonic.. What memory card would you recommend, are some faster than others??

Erm...it takes compact flash 1 and 2, yeah? I am guessing by your name you are in the UK so try this site: http://www.memorybits.co.uk/compactflash_762.php The higher the 'X' the better. 100x is good and 1gb is the minimum you'd want with a 8MP camera.

I amnt actually too sure so wait for another reply before making a choice.

:)
jophassa said:
Erm...it takes compact flash 1 and 2, yeah? I am guessing by your name you are in the UK so try this site: http://www.memorybits.co.uk/compactflash_762.php The higher the 'X' the better. 100x is good and 1gb is the minimum you'd want with a 8MP camera.

I amnt actually too sure so wait for another reply before making a choice.

The higher the "x" number, the faster but not necessarily better. I'd recommend going for a known brand eg Sandisk, Kingston, etc. Faster cards can be written to faster by the camera so you don't end up with the card slowing the camera down during a burst. Bear in mind that the camera can only write so fast so there comes a point where a faster card is not worth it. I'm not sure where that ponit is though.
I'd also recommend a few smaller cards eg several at 1gb rather than 1 at 4gb. If a card fails you've lost everything but with smaller cards your eggs are spread among baskets, so to speak.

On my 20D, my 1gb Sandisk cards hold around 240 images at highest quality jpeg setting. More than enough for most situations. Although I've got 4 cards just in case!!!

Yeah, some people have more than 1 camera body, some have many lenses and some have dozens of cards. Others have a budget.

The best buy would be for 2gb and obviously only get a known make - the unknowns are actually harder to find.

Every card is good and it is mostly down to the cameras technology.

I would advice on the same principle someone used already, don't have all your eggs in one basket... and yes definately a 1 gig minimum card, here in Guatemala the largest one I found was a 256meg and when taking just raw it just has space for 22 images...
the same fear I had before buying my rebel xt, I also have a 500N, and yes no worries there, even the cable control I use in my 500n is compatible with the rebel xt, one thing though, the efs lenses if you buy any or buy the camera with a lense, its not compatible with the 500n...

About two years ago Canon had some conflicts with Lexar cards, I have two Lexar CF cards that work fine with my old 10D but not with newer 1D MIIn

I've seen Kingston 1gb compact flash cards for £17.99.. Is this an decent price??

Also, with the 350D body, will you get software to read the RAW files..

Are RAW images better quality than JPEG?

As you can see, I'm very new to digital photography and would like to learn as much as possible so I can just get shooting when the camera arrives..

Thanks..

bazza said:
I've seen Kingston 1gb compact flash cards for £17.99.. Is this an decent price??

Also, with the 350D body, will you get software to read the RAW files..

Are RAW images better quality than JPEG?

As you can see, I'm very new to digital photography and would like to learn as much as possible so I can just get shooting when the camera arrives..

Thanks..

I don't know about your prices as I am in the states but I have several Kingston cards and they work in both my Nikon digital and Canon digitals without a problem.

I don't have the 350xt but I do have the 20D and it did come with Canon's raw program.

Raw images are just that. Raw information. It does not include any camera software modifications or file compression. So once you take the picture, you have to do all the picture corrections in a photo program on the computer. Basicallly a pure picture from the camera. When you use a shooting mode or jpeg save mode on the camera. Deppending on the mode, the camera will do some computing to the image and process it to what the particular mode or settings is for.

Raw will allow the highest resolution pictures and no loss on data. Jpeg you will actually lose some data to save file space. The higher the jpeg compression the more data you lose (higher compression = small file saved to disc).

I've had a look at the accessories you get with the 350 body and the software is included..

Got to find a good deal now.. Got one £442 with free tripod, 256mb card and software..

Can anyone beat that???

Most reactions

Back