Cannon Lenses

alexecho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know this one has been asked before, but sadly can't remember the answer.

Do the 20 year old manual Canon lenses work on the digital cameras like the 350D? Do they fit physically, do they stop the camera setting the correct apeture/shutter speed... Obviously they can't auto focus, but if they fit will they still do everything they'll do on an old AE1?

EF lenses for EOS cameras will work, FD lenses such as those designed for the AE-1 won't (correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's an adaptor either.

EDIT: it appears that there are adaptors out there, but due to the lens/film plane/sensor difference in distance, it is unlikely you'll be able to focus to infinity. That's based on unreliable internet research.

Rob

FD lenses are not worth bothering with on EOS cameras. The flange distance is shorter, so a glassless adapter will not let you focus to infinity. Canon made optical adapters for the long telephotos to ease the pain of migration for heavy FD users, but these are pretty rare nowadays. They are basically a short teleconverter, so the lens becomes longer and slower. There are a few crappy third party optical adapters available now, but they are all crap. Plus, stop down metering is a real pain in the ass.

Most reactions

Back