Canon 100-400L IS

Now that one looks yummy for sure, I love the idea of using the TC and having room to upgrade and it still being usable, but after a quick search for new/used it is way out of my price range :(

Since I'm a Nikon shooter, and have serious jealousy issues concerning anyone with a lens longer than 300mm, I can't really be of any specific help as far as whether the 100-400mm L is a good choice, BUT:

Macro, Wildlife and Abstract are pretty much the three *main* things I shoot. I got my macro lens, and extension tubes, before I got my 70-300, but I totally agree with your assessment. If you have the money right NOW to get the longer lens--do it!! You won't regret it.

Get the longer lens now, when you HAVE that money. Then start saving up again for the macro; as you said, you can always just buy some extension tubes or even a reversing ring in the meantime. But getting more reach is a different ballgame.

Also--I don't know which macro lens you settled on, but I got my Tokina 100mm macro used from (I think) KEH (might have been B&H...) for just over $350. So, keep your eyes out for a good deal and you might just be able to add that macro lens sooner than you think.

Looks like mebbe it's time to clear out a bunk for the 100-400 zoom...

Since I'm a Nikon shooter, and have serious jealousy issues concerning anyone with a lens longer than 300mm, I can't really be of any specific help as far as whether the 100-400mm L is a good choice, BUT:

Macro, Wildlife and Abstract are pretty much the three *main* things I shoot. I got my macro lens, and extension tubes, before I got my 70-300, but I totally agree with your assessment. If you have the money right NOW to get the longer lens--do it!! You won't regret it.

Get the longer lens now, when you HAVE that money. Then start saving up again for the macro; as you said, you can always just buy some extension tubes or even a reversing ring in the meantime. But getting more reach is a different ballgame.

Also--I don't know which macro lens you settled on, but I got my Tokina 100mm macro used from (I think) KEH (might have been B&H...) for just over $350. So, keep your eyes out for a good deal and you might just be able to add that macro lens sooner than you think.
Thanks Sharon! I was worried I was just trying to convince myself to go this way because it's spring and all the birds are arriving home, and the Eagles are sneaking closer and closer to us (there have been reports of sightings of two of them once upriver and last week downriver), and I found the bunch of Eagles on the lake, and and and lol. I could do the same with macro though, everything is springing so even if for whatever reason I end up going the macro way (I'm not ruling anything out until the lens is in my hot little hands lol) I'll be thrilled to have a new toy :) I just want to be smart about choosing the toy ;)
This review is old, but seems to be fair. He has a paragraph regarding Macro.

Canon 400mm f/5.6 L versus Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Thanks Jaca, I didn't see that review, it definitely confirms my suspicion that I would feel limited with a prime at this point.
Looks like mebbe it's time to clear out a bunk for the 100-400 zoom...
I think that perhaps you may be correct ;) Definitely leaning that way... like reeeeeeeeeally leaning that way.... it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :)

I have the 100-400 and have been pretty happy with the use I've gotten from it. Images from it come out clear and contrasty, although you do need to make sure you have the shutter speed up high enough to keep things motion free. I tend to use it when I want to cut down on weight or limit what I pack, this is only because my long lens of choice is my 400 2.8 IS which weighs nearly 12#.

This eagle shot was taken on my Alaska fishing trip. I was in a 14 foot skiff moving in the opposite direction and the sun had set about 15 minutes earlier, probably the worst light I would even try to use the lens in...
397999958.jpg

Ok ok ok! I'm sold!! I was 99% of the way there and you sealed the deal Tony :)

I've been trying to "visualize" how this lens stacks up against what I'm used to with my 18-200 especially in low light, this is a perfect example. The second the sun gets low and I'm not in direct light I might as well put my camera away for birding because my lens simply won't do anything other than silhouettes with any measure of quality.

Well, this has been a heck of a learning curve!

At first I was like "YES! I still have the poker moves!! I have money to spend!!"
yesss-crazy-rabbit-emoticon_zpsc495f113.gif

Then I started shopping around and was like "I know NOTHING..."
crazy-msn-emotions-eh-what.gif

So I tried to figure it out... but I was getting nowhere.
cz34.gif

Then I asked you guys and got to work edumacating myself. It took a while.... (as you know ;) )
tuzki_026.gif

With your help and lots of research I finally started getting a grasp on it... phew!
crazy-rabbit-msn-emotions-eehhh.gif

So finally I have made the decision and I'm back at YES!...

And I can't wait to get the lens in my paws!!
love-food-crazy-rabbit-emoticon_zps546ebb67.gif

So a BIG HUGE BUNNY THANK YOU TO EVERYONE!!
crazy-rabbit-msn-emotions-love-y-1.gif

I went from knowing basically nothing to being able to make this decision confidently, thanks everyone for your help, I really appreciate it!

Phew!!

I have the 100-400 and have been pretty happy with the use I've gotten from it. Images from it come out clear and contrasty, although you do need to make sure you have the shutter speed up high enough to keep things motion free. I tend to use it when I want to cut down on weight or limit what I pack, this is only because my long lens of choice is my 400 2.8 IS which weighs nearly 12#.

This eagle shot was taken on my Alaska fishing trip. I was in a 14 foot skiff moving in the opposite direction and the sun had set about 15 minutes earlier, probably the worst light I would even try to use the lens in...
397999958.jpg

At first I was like "YES! I still have the poker moves!! I have money to spend!!"

Then I started shopping around and was like "I know NOTHING..."
crazy-msn-emotions-eh-what.gif

So I tried to figure it out... but I was getting nowhere.
cz34.gif

Then I asked you guys and got to work edumacating myself. It took a while.... (as you know ;) )
tuzki_026.gif

With your help and lots of research I finally started getting a grasp on it... phew!
crazy-rabbit-msn-emotions-eehhh.gif

So finally I have made the decision and I'm back at YES!...

And I can't wait to get the lens in my paws!!
love-food-crazy-rabbit-emoticon_zps546ebb67.gif

So a BIG HUGE BUNNY THANK YOU TO EVERYONE!!
crazy-rabbit-msn-emotions-love-y-1.gif

:lol: I love this story so much!

Me too. Especially since I went through the same process. Except I did not ask anyone in TPF. Next time, I am going straight to Overread! ;)

Hi PixelRabbit. You will NOT regret getting the 100-400mm it is a fantastic lens - once you get used to the push/pull it's a snap....oh and of course the weight. Again you will get used to the weight, I hand hold most of the time and we go out anywhere from 2 to 8 hours at a time and use this lens 98% of the time. Go for the gusto!!! :)

Pixel's out shooting with her new lens. While we all sit here at our PC/Mac waiting on her to return to show us pictures......... Come on Pixel, hurry up.....

Thanks so much Wifey! I've decided to go with it!
Ron, close! Leaving shortly to go look and maybe come home with my new lens!
Be back in a while!

Most reactions

Back