Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by chammer, Apr 19, 2010.

1. chammer

chammer TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Arrived Saturday morning...

[​IMG]

...and I have to say it's probably one of my best purchases to date. Bloody amazing lens, and super sharp from 2.8.

Here's a sample shot, and a 100% crop from the focal point:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't speak for the non-L version of this lens, as it was on my list, but when it came time to buy (thanks to tax return) I figured why not go all the way. If you don't have the regular version (or what IS), or don't own a macro lens yet at all...save your pennies for this one. It is so well beyond what I could have imagined, and so well worth the money!

Here's a few more sample shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and as I had heard it makes a good portrait lens I gave it a try really quickly:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I very much look forward to getting some really decent macro shots as I get time, and I also look forward to doing more formal portraits with it sometime over the next couple nights, but im pretty sure my 50mm 1.8 just got retired from portrait duty once and for all. Really curious to see how it's going to compare to the 70-200mm 2.8 IS for portrait work. :)

2. JasonLambert

JasonLambert TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wow... Nice! Wouldn't mind having the grand to drop on that lens! Looking forward to more shots!

3. j-digg

j-digg TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Oh man, I was in the same boat, really wanting a macro lens and going with this one over the older model.. it wasnt pocket change for me but it wasnt a huge stretch either.. and man Im glad I got it. Havent really got to use it as much as Id like to yet! :x I cant wait to give it a shot as a portrait lens for my sister and her fiances engagement. Went ahead and followed a waterdrop tutorial on here and got the following as a result:

[​IMG]

Not too bad for a first attempt.

4. chammer

chammer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    j-digg: very nice shot! that drop is almost a perfect sphere, and very sharp! i've still yet do to the water drop thing. :)

i was in the same boat financially, even prepared to drop even more money and grab the 24-70 2.8L...or yet even money and get a 1d mark III lol. i decided, however, this would be my best purchase since i really wanted a macro to play with, and i really wanted a better portrait lens to replace my 50 1.8. from what i read this would do both since i have enough room to use 100mm in my house. it's ok though...for the price of the 24-70L i have this one, and i'm going to pickup the tamron 28-75 2.8 in place of the 24-70L in the next day or two (still debating the idea of it in my noggin). two for one! :)

i just got back inside from playing with it some more, and will be loading a few more images here in a few!

5. Josh220

Josh220 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Congrats! That last picture is great! :thumbup:

6. chammer

chammer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks, josh!

as promised, here's a few more i snapped off this evening...

another flower:
    [​IMG]

another flower (closer):
    [​IMG]

yet another flower:
    [​IMG]

yet another flower (100% crop center stuff):
    [​IMG]

yet another flower (100% crop flower petal):
    [​IMG]

nail:
    [​IMG]

nail (100% crop):
    [​IMG]

baseball1:
    [​IMG]

baseball2:
    [​IMG]

baseball3:
    [​IMG]

baseball3 (100% crop):
    [​IMG]

all of these were handheld, and the nail shot was at 1/30th at iso 800! i am *very* impressed with the detail still able to be obtained. there's still plenty of room for improvement on my end as well, so im not even close to doing this lens justice. :p

7. sinjans

sinjans TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You bastard...Just added another to the wishlist, which means i will probably be in the hole even longer. Great shots

8. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Congrats on the purchase! New glass, specially when its high quality glass, makes a nice difference.

I had the same debate a while ago about the Tamron 28-75 over the Canon 24-70. I have to say that I am very pleased having gone with the Tamron. When you get it, make sure to do some sharpness tests to ensure you got a good copy, but once that is clear, you are good to go.

My main issue with the lens is the slightly slower focusing speed. Its usually not a huge deal, but not a lens to be used for fast action (although I have and got decent results). Its slightly long on the wide end at 28, but I have a 10-22 for the wider shots.

Its not built as tough as the 24-70, so that might be a factor in your decision making, it was not for me. I've shot with the lens in slight rain, was my main lens in Australia a month ago, and I have no complaints.

And this was shooting with it on an XSI. A friend has one and now shoots with the 5D MkII and still loves the Tamron.

9. chammer

chammer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    bigtwinky: thanks for the input. weather sealing (at this point) isnt a huge item on my list. for the first time i shot under a light drizzle on saturday with the 70-200, but only because i was being paid. had i not then i wouldnt have just packed up lol.

the build toughness also isnt much of a concern. i have the tamron 17-50 2.8, and its built plenty good. besides...i dont intend on playing handball with it, or dropping it for that matter, so i should be ok. :)

im aware that a few copies here and there have had slight focusing issues. im prepared for that issue if it arises. :)

on the wide end, 28mm is plenty wide for what my intended use for it is which is shooting the dog show events. i love my 17-50 and have been using that most of the time, only shooting with the 70-200 here and there as space permits, but i find myself at 50mm with most all of my shots and still wanting just a touch more.

honestly the 24-105 would be the perfect lens for this, but i simply cant do f/4 no matter how much i'd love to. indoor events im lucky to get 1/40th @ iso 1600 in some places. not even close enough to stop the action of a dogs trot. :(

since im not getting paid for these events i think the tamron is going to have to be it for now, but again from what i hear, i dont think its one of those things where im settling for a lesser lens. its my understanding that the tamron is every bit as good (and better in some cases) than the canon. thats saying a lot, especially for a lens costing 1/3rd of the canon.

either way, i have until may 1st to decide and have a lens here as thats the day of our first show. so just over a week now! :D

sinjans: lol! tell me about it. my wish list gets longer every day (and with every purchase), and my hole keeps getting deeper. i dont believe there's no end in sight sadly... :(

10. Josh220

Josh220 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sorry if I missed it, but are you shooting this on a cropped sensor or full-frame?

The second group of pictures is good as well. I think the side-lit baseball is the best. You have a knack for profile shots :thumbup:

11. chammer

chammer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Josh220: it's on a 50D which is a 1.6 crop body, and thank you, i do like profile and 3/4 shots mostly. :)

still having a problem getting the shots i want, however. i've been too lazy to bring out the tripod, and by time i get home light is so crappy that at f4-f8 im having to use iso400 to iso1600 to get a decent hand held shutter speed which im sure is hindering the quality a bit. :(

12. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Looks like you added a really good,solid piece of gear to your kit chammer. A 100-105mm macro lens is a very nice piece of equipment to have,and it should last you easily ten years, or more. That Tamron 28-75/2.8 has earned a huge,huge reputation as a highly desirable lens in terms of optical performance and price/performance ratio and also weight/performance ratio; the lens is so doggone good that both Sony, and Pentax, have licensed the lens design to be built with their own brand-specific rubber and ring styles. There are not many 3rd party lenses that are so well-made that two other camera makers have both struck deals to have the lens made and labeled as "their own"...that says volumes about the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8's capabilities and reputation.