Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM macro or Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX OS HSM macro?

Overread said:
I'm not sure if Kai is safe enough do to a sane review :p

That said IS and OS are boons for handheld, but not essential. You can shoot handheld macro without them, though generally you will benefit a lot from the aid of flash to freeze the motions.

Yea that's true haha

I need IS for macro, so badly

Flash will be far more helpful to you in macro than IS/OS any day of the week.

jake337 said:

Ahhhh. Ok .__.

Flash bothers me though. When I get a good macro lens and if I feel like it's needed then I will. Thanks :)

Overread said:
Try the Sigma 150mm OS if you get a chance

Thanks for reminded me of that one! I'll have to try to. There is only one local small store that is everything photography and they are often out of lenses they get. They may not carry many third party lenses, it's a matter of luck if they have the Sigma's were talking about. Maybe I'll test them when I'm out of town on vacation in Oceanside and San Diego if I can find an all camera store

jake337 said:

Ahhhh. Ok .__.

Flash bothers me though. When I get a good macro lens and if I feel like it's needed then I will. Thanks :)

It bothers you? How? If you plan on doing any shooting at 1:1, at any time besides the brightest time of day(outdoors), at any aperture above the widest, you will want flash bad.

jake337 said:
It bothers you? How? If you plan on doing any shooting at 1:1, at any time besides the brightest time of day(outdoors), at any aperture above the widest, you will want flash bad.

Yea I know....I've got a trained eye for natural lighting though. I think it has to do with me being more afraid of learning new things and spending more money towards it haha. It's something I'll eventually get over, it's just that I'm just lacking lenses so flashes is no where near my mind right now

jake337 said:

Yea I know....I've got a trained eye for natural lighting though. I think it has to do with me being more afraid of learning new things and spending more money towards it haha. It's something I'll eventually get over, it's just that I'm just lacking lenses so flashes is no where near my mind right now

That's cool. But light is light. The hard part about flash is making it appear natural.

Overread said:
I'm not sure if Kai is safe enough do to a sane review :p

That said IS and OS are boons for handheld, but not essential. You can shoot handheld macro without them, though generally you will benefit a lot from the aid of flash to freeze the motions.

Yea that's true haha

I need IS for macro, so badly

+1 get a ring light! IS isn't very useful when you are shooting at f/11 at macro distance in less than bright daylight.

TheBiles said:
+1 get a ring light! IS isn't very useful when you are shooting at f/11 at macro distance in less than bright daylight.

Oh yea I forgot about those!

I bought my sigma used for cheap because the auto focus is broken(I don't need it).I have seen several more listed the same way since then.Must be a problem.

4meandthem said:
I bought my sigma used for cheap because the auto focus is broken(I don't need it).I have seen several more listed the same way since then.Must be a problem.

How much was yours?

jake337 said:
Don't forget about the Tokina 100mm f2.8 macro. Sweet lens.

I second the tokina. For considerably less you get a tank of a lens that is really nice and in absense of IS you can afford to get a tripod and a macro rail system (which you may need anyway for really sharp close ups)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back