Canon 10D or 20D

Scott WRG Editor

King of Smoothness
Reaction score
Website
www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org
I'm in a position to finally purchase a DSLR and since I'm already Canon EOS based for my 35mm I will be going with the 10D or 20D. I haven't had my hands on either but I know there are a bunch of 10D users here. I will be using the DSLR for a variety of subjects that will include wedding photos.

What I want to know is should I go for a 10D and save some money or bite the bullet and go for the 20D?

How good is the 10D and its 6+ megapixel resolution and is the 8+ mp rez of the 20D going to be worth the $200-300 price difference?

I heard the 10D is slow to startup and focus. Is this truly annoying or just an inconvenience?

10D or 20D... that is the question? :)

Well I've no first hand knowledge of either camera but looking at the specs side by side I can see that the 20D is quite a bit faster than the 10D

That extra speed, not to mention the improved nine point focus, would be awfully usefull for photographing fast moving objects, like say....erm......aircraft :wink:

I'd definitely go for the 20D if I could afford it.

Hey,

El Capation,

I thought you decide on the 10D, well that was what you said the last time we spoke.

Ant.

Scott doesn't take photos of Planes he just drools all over the Warbirds :p :wink: . Just Busting on Scott :D

Cheers Crazymainer

Scott doesn't take photos of Planes

Bah. If you aren't going to use it for aeroplanes you might as well save yourself a load of money and buy a digital rebel instead :wink: ...... :lol:

Scott WRG Editor said:
I heard the 10D is slow to startup and focus. Is this truly annoying or just an inconvenience?

From turn-on to ready-to-go the 10D takes 4 seconds which for me is no problem since I'll be fumbling with something for at least that long.
The focus is another story, on the 10D it's FAST or at least it is with the lens I use.
I don't know all the differences between the 10D & 20D but if I was going to buy one today I'd most likely go with the 20D, it can only be better and more megapixels is always useful.
Since the 10D is now obsolete there is a possibility that there might be a deal out there on one but that's the only reason I can think of for getting one.
HTH.

Either one will be great. I have nothing bad to say about my 10d. We have used it for 1000's of shots with no complaints. But if you can get the 20d for not much more then go with the better one. The extra megapixel will be nice for cropping.

I agree with Sid. The 10d is now out of production, so while you could get one on the cheap, support down the road could become an issue. I had planned on upgrading my 300D to a 10d, but I might just wait a bit longer now and get a 20d body.

Has anyone seen the samples from the 20D on dpreview? I'm not that impressed with the images from the 20D over the 10D. Almost looks as if the 10D was resolving more detail... even at 6mp. Granted, it is a pre production camera.

Thanks Guys, I'm probably going to just bite the wallet and buy the 20D, you can never have too many megapixels or too much horsepower.

CrayMainer: three things, first, check the dosage on your medication, I think it's time for an increase :)

second, my OT revenue was nearly $800 more than predicted so the 20D became a possibility.

third, I don't have to take airplane shots, with you on the job I know I can always count on quality pics from AIRIC. :p

Most reactions

Back