Canon 10D problem.

metroshane

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok, so how much did I pay for this thing?

I popped the flash up for a photo, but then when I was done the flash would not stay down. In other words, when I pushed the flash down whatever catches/releases the flash would not engage. So the flash stays up the whole time. I had to hold my finger over the flash for the rest of my pics.

that's way too much money for something like that to be happening.

Ouch!
That's enough to P/O the good humor man!
How long have you had the camera?

Well there's one bright spot in that it's still under warranty.
Haven't heard of this happening to the Canon 10D before but it seems to happen occasionally to the Pentax *ist or so it is reported.

sounds like u somehow got auto-flash on :?

*consulting with the hubby about his 10D*
are u using the "portrait" mode on your camera? ... or manual? :scratch:

I've tried all different settings. It's not as if I can close it and it pops back up...it's that it will not stay down at all. Even when the camera is off. It just won't latch at all.

The friendly folks at Canon advised me to ship it (on my dime) and they'll fix it in 10-15 days.

I was thinking the same thing, voodoocat. But since it's under warranty might as well let them take care of it. Besides the flash will still be firing taking up battery charge.

tape? .. i would flip out :x ... thats a $1500 camera .. i would not leave it in that condition :soapbox:

I did flip, Dew. It's hard enough to justify that purchase to my wife, when something happens to it it becomes "my broken $1500 toy".

metroshane said:
But since it's under warranty might as well let them take care of it.
That would be a good idea. It's kind of a waste of warranty if you don't use it. Also sending in your camera to be repaired will let Canon know of the problem, so hopefully they will fix it for future models or current production lines. Sometimes it's not a good idea to live with a problem. I'm sure some defects are only known by the company when customers try to get them fixed. There's only so many problems they can watch for in the lab. Feed back from the customers should help to make their products better...well, hopefully.

On a related note according to Consumer Reports magazine, the company with the least amount of repairs was Sony then followed by Canon, Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji, Casio, HP, Kodak, Nikon, Toshiba, and then JVC. This report was based on 107,000 reader responses for digital cameras bought between 2000-2003.

Ug...I hadn't sent my 10D in yet b/c I knew I had to do a shoot yesterday. And I've discovered the real problem with my flash being busted. One, I could only take about 1/3 the normal pictures b/c the flash was firing evertime. But here's the worst. I was trying to do some action shots and the burst would not work b/c the flash could not rebuild fast enough. :x

So today I say good bye to my trusted friend for 3 weeks...and oh, I have to pay for shipping.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back