Canon 10D vs Canon Rebel XS?

G. Ike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,
I had every intention of buying a Canon Rebel XS on eBay, but when I lost the auction I decided I would just check out craigslist to see if there was anything local. To my surprise, a local pro photographer is selling their backup camera. It's a Canon 10D and it includes a 35-80mm lens. Which would be a better camera to start with? I am leaning towards the 10D because I figure if it was a professional camera a few years ago, it should perform just as well, if not better than a current entry level camera. Also, I could use the money I save on lenses and other goodies. Any opinions? Thanks in advance!

George

Hey guys,
I had every intention of buying a Canon Rebel XS on eBay, but when I lost the auction I decided I would just check out craigslist to see if there was anything local. To my surprise, a local pro photographer is selling their backup camera. It's a Canon 10D and it includes a 35-80mm lens. Which would be a better camera to start with? I am leaning towards the 10D because I figure if it was a professional camera a few years ago, it should perform just as well, if not better than a current entry level camera. Also, I could use the money I save on lenses and other goodies. Any opinions? Thanks in advance!
A friend of mine bought a second hand 10D and he loves it...and he's a professional free-lance photographer who uses 1D bodies when working. He said the 10D is a good camera (for the price...he paid $300 for it) and has been shooting quite a bit with it. He uses an adapter to mount a Nikkor 50mm lens on it. He's taken some great shots with it.

But should you buy a 10D instead of a XS? The 10D is a better class of camera (semi-pro/serious amateur instead of entry level) but it's 5 years older than the XS. It would have better build, controls and ergonomics than the XS, but the XS does have a newer image processor and could possibly do better in certain situations.

I don't know...your call.

I think you might actually like the Rebel XS better, as a shooter and imager. I bought a Rebel XS new from Ritz Camera in June for $200, NOS (new old stock). The 10D is an okay camera too. Neither are new and current models.
I shot my friend's 10D back when 6 megapixls were the hot,new thing,and under studio lighting I thought it was a pretty good camera.

I dunno...any d-slr is better than no d-slr.

I am a entry-level photographer and will be doing my first free-lance shoot for a local business this afternoon. I have the Rebel XS that I purchesed from Dell for $500 including overnight delivery (free). I absolutly LOVE the camera. It is extremely quick to focus and shoot. The menu layout is easy and I am starting to program the My Menu settings for even quicker changes. Being an EF-S body, I can use any of Canon's lenses, which I believe there are over 60 or 70... I also like the fact that it's 10MP vs 6.3MP and a Digic III processor.

I am not completely familar with the 10D, but I just wanted to let you know that I am very happy with the XS.

I would say to read reviews on both. If you can, hold both and see how they feel in your hand. One thing I would say is to be very careful about buying a used camera. I am not a trusting individual and don't know camera's history (how often it was cleaned, elements it's been exposed to, or if it had ever been dropped)

Glad to have you on board and look forward to your first posted shot.

I have 10D since 2001. Still takes good pictures & in very good shape despite frequent used. My only complaint is slow to turn on, I think is longer than his predecessors. Also, the preview screen is tiny & the pixel size is 6.3M. You might want to go to your local camera store & try taking couple pictures with these cameras see which one you like better, picture quality/performance wise.

The 10D was a great camera when in came out...but the 20D was vastly improved and the newer models have improved since then.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend the 10D. A used 20D would be a much better option....and a newer model like the XS is also a better option, if you don't mind the smaller body.

Here's some i shot about 2years ago with a 10D, the 10D fits the hand better than a Rebel, the shot looks no different to my 1Dmk1 and 1Dmk2

577228434_Kzjw5-L.jpg

161364455_CXMVG-L.jpg

ISO1600 spot the ball
92374379_inu66-L.jpg

i was running while i took this one with the 50mmF1.8 attached
92374376_Q6NQ9-L.jpg

I bought a used canon 10d with battery grip and two lenses, 28-80 and 75-300mm. The lenses are bottom of the line but the camera it self awesome. I have shot many portraits and some sports with it. I motor drive on the 10d is a little slow so its kinda tough for sports but worked fine for me.

I am getting ready to sell it now due to I have just bout a 30d.

I love the 10d. So many features and a sweet camera. I really think it beats out the xti and xs models. All metal gear driving. Magnesium alloy body. Feels great in the hand with the battery grip. I will miss it for sure when someone buys it but want to by another portrait lens for my line up so it must go. Never had bad luck with the 10d.

Its not bout mega pixel. Its bout glass.

If you go to my website. click the link I have posted. All the photos on there except for the river picture was taken with the 10d and some good glass. The portraits were taken with the 10d and the canon 85mm f1.8 usm lens. Hope that helps ya bud. Take care.

Hey guys,
I would have updated you sooner but I was very busy this weekend. I decided on the 10D. I have some extra money to drop on lenses and I am happy with my purchase! So far it's a great camera and I can't wait to buy some lenses.

Good choice. I like the xxD line much better. I have shot both and would have gotten my 30D over and over and over again even against the T1i

Most reactions

Back