Canon 1300D Beginner (Help- Portrait Shots)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by sandeep.sharma1527, Nov 4, 2017.

1. sandeep.sharma1527

sandeep.sharma1527 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi Guys

I am a beginner with a Canon 1300 D and I am seeking the know the following:

Defocus Background effects for Portrait Shots - I can see that on the Av mode, I can only get the Aperture as low as 4.5 which is not giving me any great shot. I am extremely new to DSLR and need help to understand how to take great portrait shots. Can someone help please?

2. pinecone81

pinecone81 TPF Noob!

What lens are you using. Your aperture will be dictated by your lens. And the defocus effect is called bokeh.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Many "slow-aperture" zoom lenses only range from like f/3.5 at their short end to f/5.6 at the long end (18-55mm lenses for example), while others have a maximum aperture width that is say, f/4.5! With an APS-C size sensor, the typical portrait-range working distances force the lens to show a pretty fair degree of depth of field at f/4.5. A "faster-aperture" lens, say a lens that opens to a very wide f/1.8 range, will, if the lens is fairly long, like say 85mm, will give a more-defocused look to your portrait backgrounds. Similarly, a 50mm f/1.8 lens shot at f/1.8 or f/2 or f/2.5 or thereabouts, will create a fair degree of background blurring on closer-distance subjects.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sandeep.sharma1527

Photos OK to edit
    Hi Friend

Thanks for the reply. I am using the very basic 18-55 lens.

5. sandeep.sharma1527

Photos OK to edit
    Dear Friend, huge thanks for the reply. Although most of your suggestion was like a jargon to me, but if I try to connect the dots and if i am getting it right, the Canon EF 50MM 1.8 STM would be a good lens for the bokeh effect / defocus effect ! Also, thanks for taking time for writing that explanation. I am yet to learn about ISO , APERTURE AND SHUTTER SPEED so thanks a lot ! Appreciate !

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens would be an affordable, fast-aperture (that lens's f/1.8 maximum aperture value means that the lens is considered "fast") lens that could create some defocused background effects at portrait distances. it is a good lens value too, and not too expensive, and it is easy to learn to use and has a useful focal length for many pictures with a 1300D or other APS-C size sensor d-slr.

• Like Like x 1
  7. sandeep.sharma1527

Photos OK to edit
    BIG THANKS :) I shall arrange one pretty soon ! Thanks !

8. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    That is a common but less than accurate statement.
    The defocus effect, or a blurred background, results from shot setup & camera/lens settings adjustments that provide a shallow depth-of-field (DoF).
    Understanding Depth of Field in Photography

While DoF is adjustable, bokeh, the visual quality of a blurred background, is an inherent property of a lens and is not adjustable.
    Inexpensive lenses often deliver crude and unpleasant to look at bokeh, in large part because of the shape and number of aperture blades the lens has. Other lens construction particulars also affect the quality of the bokeh any make/model of lens produces.

The 2 most pleasing looks of bokeh are called:
    • 'Cream cheese' bokeh, because the quality of the blurred background is very smooth and even.
    • The other pleasing bokeh, 'Hollywood' bokeh involves distinct specular highlights or lights in the background that are a very round, very smooth blurs.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  9. sandeep.sharma1527

Photos OK to edit

That's a bit of a download to take in a day but i can understand what you mean ! Thank you so much Keith ! looking forward to learn so much from you :) Also, I will read that DOF link that you have sent ! Much thanks , appreciated !