Canon 15 - 85mm IS or Sigma 17-70mm OS HSM C?

weepete

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.petecrawford.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I thought I had decided on my upgrade path being a Canon 15 - 85mm IS f3.5-5.6 as an upgrade for my old 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 walk around lens. It looked like it ticked most of the boxes.

Recently however I have become aware of the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 DC HSM Macro OS C

Now I am torn between the two. The canon has a better range, but the sigma is faster, scores better on DXO Mark and is more affordable if less available on the second hand market. I do have a 70 - 300mm telephoto as well so the long end will still be covered all be it with a lens change but I'm really wondering if the extra speed is worth loosing 2mm off the wide end?

Has anyone tried them both and can offer an opinion?

I don't know about the 15-85, but I absolutely LOVE my Siggy 17-70 "C" on my 7D. The f/2.8@17mm is quite useful in low-light. Quite sharp most of the time despite a little barrel distortion and CA, both easily correctable in post.

As for the wide end. I find that 17mm fits my needs well, but I have some wide-angle lenses (8-16 for sale and a 14mm f/2.8) for the very rare occasions that require wider focal lengths. I suggest you try both lenses if you can find a store with both in stock.

I own both lenses and have to say both are very good lenses. I have seen the Dxo Mark scores but can't help but think the two come out more even than not. The 15-85 stays on my 7D most the time. I picked up the 15-85 about the time I upgraded from a T2i to the 7D. I used the Sigma mostly with the T2i. I do feel the 15-85 is sharper than the Sigma but not by much. There us something about the 7D/15-85 combo I really like.

Ask someone else who has used both and I would not be surprised if they prefer the 17-70. I would have to say they come out about even, I just prefer the feel of the 7D/15-85 combo.

So, I thought I had decided on my upgrade path being a Canon 15 - 85mm IS f3.5-5.6 as an upgrade for my old 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 walk around lens.

Now I am torn between the two.

What's wrong with your current walkaround lens that you want to replace it? You've got mid range and telephoto, perhaps get a wide angle? I have the two kits,. 18-55, and 55-200 and love them but I wish I had the 10-18mm for shooting people at tables and sunsets and whatnot. it's only 300 beans and gets great reviews..

That being said, I notice both your choices have IS , I recently switched from film to digital and I LOVE the new optical image stabilization, it's a wonder of the modern age and is a miracle for indoor ambient light with slow zooms.

Keep us updated whatever you do decide, eh?

Last edited:
"What's wrong with your current walkaround lens that you want to replace it?"

It's old, not as sharp as I'd like and isn't really wide enough being 28mm on a crop sensor. I could use IS as well which would help me keep the ISO low when I'm shooting landscapes and don't have my tripod.

I'm in the same boat, trying to decide on a general purpose wide angle zoom. The ones i'm considering are the Canon 15-85, Sigma 17-70 and the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8
I will most likely go with the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 since it gets better reviews for IQ. I am also getting a Tamron 70-300mm telephoto lens, so don't think getting the Sigma 17-50 will be a major drawback in not covering the 50-70mm range.

After masses amounts of reading and a wee check of what the difference in focal length actually is using a full frame equivalent (24 vs 28mm) I'm pretty much decided on the Sigma 17-70mm HSM C. I dont recon I'll miss the 2mm on the wide end whereas the extra stop is really appealing plus it gives me an excuse to buy a 10-20mm later on!

Most reactions

Back