Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L II VS Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by maytay20, Aug 10, 2008.

1. maytay20

maytay20 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I was wondering what is the improvement?? So far from the research I have done there is a price difference and lens rentals has it that they are closing the original out of stock. I am looking into this lens for weddings and portrait use. I will only be renting this one but hope to add a few L's to my rig. Oh and neither of them have IS should I rent something with IS instead? I am learning a lot just trying to get a feel for what will best fit my needs. I rented the 24-105 F4L IS for my last wedding and got awesome results. Just wanted to know if faster is really better?? Oh and I almost forgot to mention I do have a mono pod that the camera is mounted to most of the time also. Thank you, Mary

2. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Not one Canon 16-35 f/2.8L I have ever sold has ever come back with some one disappointed. I have never shot with the newer version but this is from Canon's website:

Inheriting the same outstanding wide-angle 16 mm focal length, the new Canon zoom lens favorably corrects for various aberrations to achieve improved peripheral image quality at the wide-angle end.

On a full frame, it's a street shooter zoom not really geared towards portraits. On a crop sensor, its a bit of a odd focal range... IMO.

3. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    the new one uses 82mm filters and has better clarity in the corners, that's really about it.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    IS isn't needed as much with short focal lengths as it is for telephoto.

What camera(s) are you shooting with?
    The 16-35mm L is a great lens but there are no EF L lenses with IS in that range. If you are using a crop body, the EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS, is considered on of the best lenses in the range.
    There is also the new 18-55mm IS, but that is an entry level lens, not really comparable with the 16-35mm or the 17-55mm.

5. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Oh that sucks... many of the L lenses including primes and zooms (excluding super telephotos) share the 77mm filter size. This made it very easy to carry a single set of filters that fits most of your L lenses. If the newer one is ~larger~ that's even worse.... you can't adapt your existing 77mm filters to larger.

Example:
    Old 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70f.8L and 70-200 f2.8L share the 77
    The 17-40 f4L, 24-105L, 100-400L share the 77

6. Agree, the new filter size is a bummer.

I have the original 16-35, and you do NOT need IS with that lens.

However, at 16mm you need to be careful. Get a face to close or near the edge and it starts getting wiiiiiiiiider. Everything looks weird... like watching 4:3 TV stretched onto a 16:9 TV set... very odd.