Canon 17-85 EF-S IS vs. ???

JTHphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I like the range of this lens as it works well for shooting both events and landscapes. However, I'm not wholly impressed with the quality & results for the price. I am considering selling it and moving up to maybe a 17-40 4L for landscape/nature shots. I don't really notice a difference when using the IS on this lens, so why pay for it? Maybe I could just substitute a 28-105 or 28-200 for event photography, until I could afford more L glass?

My setup right now is 20D, 17-85 IS, 50 1.8, 75-300 :thumbdown:, & a 28-80 kit lens (from my elan).

1. Am I correct in thinking that canon will eventually switch to all full-frame sensors and this 17-85 will be useless on future bodies? Or no? or nobody knows, including canon?

2. What are your thoughts/opinions about all of this? Does my train of thought make sense? or will I regret not having this lens, and I just should just quit crying and get a second job so I can buy more toys?

3. If you shoot a digital canon with the 1.6X factor, what is your lens setup?

4. What are your thoughts on buying used lenses? Have you? Would you?

I've also heard complaints about the 17-85 IS...not that it's really a bad lens...just that it's not as good as many of Canon's other lenses. A friend of mine is planning to get that lens with a new Rebel XTi and also get DXO Optics Pro software which will automatically correct some of the flaws of the lens like distortion and chromatic aberration.

I've heard great things about the EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS
I've heard that it's practically as sharp as L glass...and the price would support that...it's an expensive lens.

I think that the 1.6 sensor will be around for a while. Canon is still creating new EF-S lenses for one. Other companies are still making sensors that size...practically all other DSLRs of this size use this size...so Canon currently has no need to out-do them. If Nikon, for example, came out with a full frame camera for $1500...then Canon would be forced to put a full sensor into a cheaper camera...but that hasn't happened yet.

I have a 20D and I mainly use three lenses. 18-55 kit, 50mm F1.8 and a 75-300 F4-5.6 USM III. Not a great kit it terms of quality but a decent focal coverage. I want to upgrade my kit lens, as that's what I use most. I'm thinking the 17-40 F4 L...because of it's decent price and great reputation. (I hear there is a new IS version of that too). I also want a wider prime lens like a 24mm F1.8 or something like that.

thanks mike, i appreciate the response! i've heard really good things about that 17-40L, i'm thinking that will by my next purchase too... :thumbup:

JTH, not wanting to introduce more troubles to think about, but have you considered the EF-S 10-22? :p That one also got some nice reviews!

Is 17mm cropped wide enough for your landscape shots?

Innocence said:
JTH, not wanting to introduce more troubles to think about, but have you considered the EF-S 10-22? :p That one also got some nice reviews!

i haven't heard much about the 10-22, do you use it? I have never shot anything that wide... sounds like fun though. If $$$ weren't an issue I'd have 1 of everything. :)

I do find that 18mm on a crop sensor is not as wide as I would like for landscapes and other stuff as well. I have heard good things about the Canon 10-22 and there are others in this category as well. I think Tokina makes a decent lens that is 12-20 or something like that.

I do plan to go full frame (someday :roll: ) so I think I may hold off on the EF-S glass...and use the 17-40 as an ultra wide on the full frame.

JTHphoto said:
thanks mike, i appreciate the response! i've heard really good things about that 17-40L, i'm thinking that will by my next purchase too... :thumbup:

I got that one on full frame and I really like it. Mine is best at the wide angle end. However I heard there is some variation in quality from specimen to specimen ... as with most canon lenses.

But if you get a mucked up one, you can always get it adjusted by canon.

Innocence said:

You will also need 50 mm cropped for some landscape shots.
Landscape does not necessarily always mean wide angle!

But I agree, 17 mm are not really ultra wide at crop sensors. However I survived for quite a while with a 28mm prime on full frame for landscape, then moved to a 24-70 and now I am at 17-40.
Depending on your crop factor, 17 cropped might corrrespond to something similar to 24 full frame. And that is ok for most landscape situations I think.

For architecture it is often not wide enough though. In particular if you go for interior.

17mm on the 1.6 crop is just about 28mm...which is fairly wide. I do notice quite a difference between 28mm and 24mm on my film camera though. I have a Tamron 24-70mm lens and I liked that focal length on 35mm film. I don't use that lens at all on my 20D though...I just don't feel the need for it.

JTHphoto said:
i haven't heard much about the 10-22, do you use it? I have never shot anything that wide... sounds like fun though. If $$$ weren't an issue I'd have 1 of everything. :)

Not using it but am considering between it and the 17-40, still not sure if I'll do what BigMike is, cos my time horizon till FF upgrade is way waay down the track, so I am thinking it's okay to invest.

In addition to the tamron that big mike mentioned, there's also a sigma 10-20 i think. :) (but it's also cropped only i think..haha..not too sure)

Big Mike said:
I do find that 18mm on a crop sensor is not as wide as I would like for landscapes and other stuff as well. I have heard good things about the Canon 10-22 and there are others in this category as well. I think Tokina makes a decent lens that is 12-20 or something like that.

I do plan to go full frame (someday :roll: ) so I think I may hold off on the EF-S glass...and use the 17-40 as an ultra wide on the full frame.

This is pretty much the way I am leaning, but I'm not sure on when the FF will happen for me... not in the near future i'm sure. When it does, it would be nice to already have the wider angle lens. Besides, I'd play with it on my elan too.

Thanks for all the input everybody, i appreciate it. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back