Canon 17-85mm Lens?

Derek Zoolander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I found this lens used on craigslist and he is asking for $230. Good deal?

I've been looking for another lens that would replace my kit lens and also be a good portrait lens. Am I looking at the right lens?

I think I may have posted this in General Shop Talk by mistake...Maybe better off in beginner forum?

Maybe better off in beginner forum?
How about the Equipment section? ;)

I have this lens and it's a decent one. It's a good step up from the 18-55mm kit lens, a little in image quality but more in build quality. And the added reach plus IS make it a great 'walk-around' lens.

The main problem with this lens is the same problem the kit lens has...the max aperture is not very large. The IS can somewhat make up for this...but not if you are shooting people...because people tend to move...and IS does nothing to prevent blur from subject movement.

This is why I also have the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8. The large aperture allows a faster shutter speed and a shallower DOF. I originally thought that I might sell the 17-85mm lens when I got this one...but I still use the 17-85mm because I love the extra reach and IS.

The usual train of thought for a good portrait lens is that longer is better. I like shooting portraits with my 70-200mm more than any other.

What camera will use with this lens?

-Pete

I'm using it on a Rebel XS

Maybe better off in beginner forum?
How about the Equipment section? ;)

I have this lens and it's a decent one. It's a good step up from the 18-55mm kit lens, a little in image quality but more in build quality. And the added reach plus IS make it a great 'walk-around' lens.

The main problem with this lens is the same problem the kit lens has...the max aperture is not very large. The IS can somewhat make up for this...but not if you are shooting people...because people tend to move...and IS does nothing to prevent blur from subject movement.

This is why I also have the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8. The large aperture allows a faster shutter speed and a shallower DOF. I originally thought that I might sell the 17-85mm lens when I got this one...but I still use the 17-85mm because I love the extra reach and IS.

The usual train of thought for a good portrait lens is that longer is better. I like shooting portraits with my 70-200mm more than any other.

I have a Sigma 70-200mm but I'm never in a big enough space to stand back that far for portraits. I was thinking of selling that one to buy 1 or 2 other lenses that I would use more. Maybe throw a wide angle lens in there, but you're making me rethink that. Maybe I'll pick up this 17-85mm and keep the 70-200mm then and give it another shot with portraits...I've only been using my 50mm 1.8 cheapo lens to shoot portraits. I dont even use my kit lens anymore...

While I love my 70-200mm for portraits, it can be pretty long...even when shoot outdoors. I have to shout instructions to the model/subject. :lol:

When shooting in smaller spaces, I usually grab the Tamron 17-50mm but I might also use my 50mm F1.8 or my Sigma 30mm F1.4.

While I love my 70-200mm for portraits, it can be pretty long...even when shoot outdoors. I have to shout instructions to the model/subject. :lol:

When shooting in smaller spaces, I usually grab the Tamron 17-50mm but I might also use my 50mm F1.8 or my Sigma 30mm F1.4.

Alright, it's not just me then. I thought it was a bit far, but I've seen a bunch of people say that's what they prefer to use. In another thread where I asked more specifically about portrait lenses they're saying it's more flattering for the people in the photo.

So are we saying that the $230 price tag is good for this lens if I test it out and find it's in good condition?

So are we saying that the $230 price tag is good for this lens if I test it out and find it's in good condition?
No, I don't think anyone said that. You have to make the final decisions.

Ok, well than any insight to the price would be helpful. I don't want to buy it without getting the educated opinion of this board's members. It looks like it goes for around $400 and above anywhere else I've seen it...

For $230, I'd buy it.

You may find that it's not ideal for some situations (portraits included) but it's a pretty good all-around lens and certainly an improvement on the kit lens.

Alright, I haggled him down to $200. So I think I'm going to get it then. What should I check for when I go meet him?

Obviously I'm going to put it onto my camera and see if the zoom works, if I can take a picture with it. Mess with the aperture. Anything else I should look for when testing it?

Make sure the IS works. If you haven't used it before, it will make a sound when it starts and stops, that's normal, but it shouldn't be too loud...and obviously, it should stabilize the image as you look through the viewfinder.

Make sure the IS works. If you haven't used it before, it will make a sound when it starts and stops, that's normal, but it shouldn't be too loud...and obviously, it should stabilize the image as you look through the viewfinder.

Nice one. What does it sound like? Anything like the autofocus? Is there a way to turn on and off the IS? I don't want to be testing for it and say it doesnt work and he tells me its because it's off... :)

Yes, there is a switch for IS, ON or Off...it's right on the lens beside the AF on/off switch.

It doesn't really sound like AF, which is (on a non USM lens) a quick mechanical sound. The IS sounds sort of like a little click when it starts up or stops. It should run for a few seconds when you activate it (usually the same time you activate the auto focus by pressing the shutter release button).

Also, zoom the lens all the way out and look through the viewfinder. Then when you activate the IS, you should notice that it becomes more stable. It might be hard to notice but it should be there. Also, if you move the camera/lens around while the IS is on...it maybe seem to 'jump' from place to place, that's normal, as long as it settles down when you stop moving.

Also, check that the zoom and focus rings turn smoothly and don't grind.

As always, thank you very much.

One more question, I've never had a USM lens and this one is. You said it sounds different than on a non-USM lens when autofocusing?

Most reactions

Back