rCOSIO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.rcosiophotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey Everyone,

I know this question may have been asked before. Well I am an amatuer photog. trying to shoot as much as possible and get some gigs.

Currently I shoot nightlife (clubs) and portraits with a lil home studio kit. When I have some free time, I than go out in the city and take random pics. Although, got a birhday gig coming up next month, and anniversary party in two.

With this being said, I shoot with a T1i and have kit lens along with 55-250 is .... I have two questions:

1) Is the Canon 18-200mm IS a good buy?

2) Is it worth it to sell my two current lense to help purchae this new lense?

*Since i do not shoot with two cameras, don't really want to hassle with changing lense at gigs, and outdoors. Will i be happy with my chocie?

Thanks for all the info ...

RanddyC

If you're shooting anything in low light you will regret the 18-200. I just got rid of my 18-200 that came with my 50D. tons of barrell distortion and unsharp images. I quickly came to hate the IQ of that lens. If money is a concern look to sigma for anything f2.8. Your focal length will require more thinking.

Thanks for the info .... i shoot with a flash often, more often than not shooting without. Although, i do like to take some night shots, city lights, bridges, etc. Wonder if this would be a problem ...

Hey Everyone,

I know this question may have been asked before. Well I am an amatuer photog. trying to shoot as much as possible and get some gigs.

Currently I shoot nightlife (clubs) and portraits with a lil home studio kit. When I have some free time, I than go out in the city and take random pics. Although, got a birhday gig coming up next month, and anniversary party in two.

With this being said, I shoot with a T1i and have kit lens along with 55-250 is .... I have two questions:

1) Is the Canon 18-200mm IS a good buy?

2) Is it worth it to sell my two current lense to help purchae this new lense?

*Since i do not shoot with two cameras, don't really want to hassle with changing lense at gigs, and outdoors. Will i be happy with my chocie?

Thanks for all the info ...

RanddyC

Who would wanna shoot a "GIG" with only one lens??? I would feel like I had my hands tied... and yes the lens is a good lens, for a regular walk around lens, not for "GIG" quality such as anything your getting paid to shoot. They speak highly of the lens here Canon | EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Autofocus Lens | 2752B002 click on reviews to read up on it. BH is a great resource for reviews. However, I have many "prime" lenses because any kind of zoom will never touch a prime. Changing lenses? that's the fun part! LOL :) oh yeah and that canon USM 1.4 is silky smooth and phenomenal in low light. If your looking for a "GIG" lens then the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L is amazing or its cheaper Sigma counter part weighing in at about 800 bucks...

ALIAS

I do not own any of the super zoom type lens. But if you are looking for a all in one, vacation type lens. The Canon is not bad. Of course, you have other choices as well.

See the following link
Juza Nature Photography

Those super zoom lens are great but they do have draw back. It is hard to make a lens that has great optical performance with wide focal range or through out the range. In that case, they are usually not as good as the lenses with smaller zoom or fix focal length optically.

It is all depends your expectation. If you are not looking for sharpest image on earth, or if you do not need it for low light photography, they are not bad in my opinion.

Personally, I'd rather switch lenses. As for city type photos, I seldom need to use a longer focal length such as 200mm. Most of them are between 17mm and 100mm. Of course, your personal shooting style may be different.

I usually walk around with my Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 lens.

coo thanks for the info .... the link was helpfull as well.

I guess i just would like a good lense to shoot at clubs, events, party's etc ....

also if you want really lo light options then canon makes a nice 50mm1.4

They also make a super cheap but fairly sharp 50mm f1.8

i bought it to take some photos of my friends band in a night club, I had no flash and worked out great!

3677878066_52450b952f.jpg

I recently picked up the sigma 18-200 and was really impressed with the sharpness and image quality, but I will say that if you plan on shooting in clubs where light is an issue thats probably not the way you want to go as its not great for low light situations. As far as everything else goes its a good buy, I bought mine for a vacation and took 1500+ pics with it and was so impressed it never came off the camera.

Stupid Question:

if I were to have an 18-200mm lens .... how will the pics be if I shoot with my 430 flash in the 18 to 105 range?

Most reactions

Back