Canon 1D MK IV officially released!

They should have called this the Mk3n. This is hardly a major release.

jump_the_shark.jpg

True that. Would've left them room for a much better Mk4. But then again, all the Canon shooters probably feel just like the Nikon shooters did when every comparable model was significantly better. In a few years, Canon will release some crazy new camera and steal back all the Nikon converts. But for now... my next cam will be a Nikon.

And lol at Canon jumping the shark.

They're saying on the Canon forums that the Mk4 doesn't have color metering. It also lacks the LCD display in the view finder that they gave the 7D.

What a joke.

So, they gave us 16MP on a APS-H sensor that has marginal high ISO performance (based on test shots posted to CNET Asia) and which lacks any real advancements in metering or even AF. Oh, yeah, the AF is color blind too. But on the bright side, they claim it corrects the faults of the Mk3. But then they claimed the Mk3 was superior to the Mk2n... and it wasn't.

They should have called this the Mk3n. This is hardly a major release.

...talk about being majorly disappointed in Canon at this point.

jump_the_shark.jpg

Nikon holds the lead once again.

If colour metering was a big thing they would have put it in the 1Dmk4, it is probably just a gimmick for the lower models, personaly i couldn't give a **** what these so called experts think of it i would rather try it myself and come to my own conclusion

just checked it out.. ****s baggin.. 10fps... video... and only 5k wtf.. why so cheap... savin up for that.. as of now..

I can't believe it doesn't have a pop up flash :confused: my MK2's don't have one, you would have thought they would have fitted one

I wonder how this new camera perform in low light situation, anyone got any links?

Here are some high ISO images from the 1D4.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV Preview - Digital Cameras - CNET Asia

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

Personally, I'm not impressed with these. the subject matter is bad for the test shots in my opinion. I'm looking forward to more test images.

I'm not excited about this release. I really-really wanted the 1D4 to be something more... but I'm not passing judgment just yet. But if in a few weeks I don't see some glowing reviews and after Jan I don't see some really impressive shots from actual users... you may be looking at a D3s owner.

LOL At 102,400 you can't even SEE the subjects anymore, it's just noise!

Yeah, it basically matches the D3/D700 now, and is still a little behind the D3s because it's a partial sensor.

And now the AF works more like the Nikon AF does, but not quite. I dunno, this really IS disappointing. It would have been great if they stuck with 10MP and better high ISO. Should have been a 1DIIIn.

Well now we all know what the 1DsIII is going to be. same thing, except 4-5fps and close to 30MP at $8000. Hot damn!

Yeah, it basically matches the D3/D700 now, and is still a little behind the D3s because it's a partial sensor.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion, but if it does match the "old" D3 in terms of high ISO / low noise capabilities... that would be damn good considering the high pixel density of the 1D.

I've gotten the "damn it, this sucks" ranting out of my system. The guys over on the Canon forums are doing a bang up job of defending it. :) Check this post out:

The Mk1V already trumps the D3s in virtually every way. From ISO range, FPS, resolution, video, liveview, you name it. I personally prefer 1.3x over FF as it gives extra reach, but still shallow DOF close to FF (unlike 1.6x). Same with the AF (where the MkIII has beaten the D3 in every head to head test and in my own). The new Servo II will most definitely be even better. Don't buy into the marketing terminology.

The fact that on paper the Mk1V is better than any DSLR out there, yet we still consider it a letdown seems to be par for the course on forums.

As for color metering, it will be included (the 7D uses it, and the new flagship will as well), however, who really cares? The metering of the MkIII was already as good as the Nikon cameras that use color metering.

I'm just going to sit back, wait until next month and see what reviewers and owners have to say about it. Maybe I'm just being a killjoy for no good reason. I guess I was expecting something revolutionary vs. another relatively mundane refresh.

Here are some high ISO images from the 1D4.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV Preview - Digital Cameras - CNET Asia

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

Personally, I'm not impressed with these. the subject matter is bad for the test shots in my opinion. I'm looking forward to more test images.

I'm not excited about this release. I really-really wanted the 1D4 to be something more... but I'm not passing judgment just yet. But if in a few weeks I don't see some glowing reviews and after Jan I don't see some really impressive shots from actual users... you may be looking at a D3s owner.

LOL At 102,400 you can't even SEE the subjects anymore, it's just noise!

And now the AF works more like the Nikon AF does, but not quite. I dunno, this really IS disappointing. It would have been great if they stuck with 10MP and better high ISO. Should have been a 1DIIIn.

Well now we all know what the 1DsIII is going to be. same thing, except 4-5fps and close to 30MP at $8000. Hot damn!

Do you really believe those shots were taken by a pro, if you believe that you will believe anything :lmao:

I've gotten the "damn it, this sucks" ranting out of my system. The guys over on the Canon forums are doing a bang up job of defending it. :) Check this post out:

The Mk1V already trumps the D3s in virtually every way. From ISO range, FPS, resolution, video, liveview, you name it. I personally prefer 1.3x over FF as it gives extra reach, but still shallow DOF close to FF (unlike 1.6x). Same with the AF (where the MkIII has beaten the D3 in every head to head test and in my own). The new Servo II will most definitely be even better. Don't buy into the marketing terminology.

The fact that on paper the Mk1V is better than any DSLR out there, yet we still consider it a letdown seems to be par for the course on forums.

As for color metering, it will be included (the 7D uses it, and the new flagship will as well), however, who really cares? The metering of the MkIII was already as good as the Nikon cameras that use color metering.
I'm just going to sit back, wait until next month and see what reviewers and owners have to say about it. Maybe I'm just being a killjoy for no good reason. I guess I was expecting something revolutionary vs. another relatively mundane refresh.

"From ISO range, FPS..."
:lol: this guy is really clutching at straws. But yeah, I think it's a little early to defend or bash the 1D. It will be a while until the first decent reviews are in.

Most reactions

Back