Canon 200mm ƒ/2.8L II Lens Flare

lennon33x

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Canon 200mm ƒ2.8L II users...

How do you handle lens flare? My goal is always to flare the hell out of my lenses...it's something that I do to push the optics. However, I haven't had very much luck in getting super awesome flare. And by super awesome, I mean seeing lens flare bokeh, vs a haze. I seem to get the latter, and I'm beginning to think that I may not be able to make that happen at this focal length, and that it only really happens at shorter focal lengths (i.e. <85mm)
Thanks

Canon and all other lens manufacturers go to great lengths, and costs, to reduce lens flare to the absolute minimum (for each price point). From multiple coatings of various types to exacting glass composition and grinding, the goal has always been and still is to NOT get lens flare.

In my opinion, trying to take a high quality lens to get low-quality results is a waste of both your money and your time. If it's lens flare you want, buy the cheapest lenses and cheapest filters you can find. Do NOT use a hood with the lens. Then go take pictures with bright light sources about 10 to 30 degrees from center. Car headlights, street lamps, and even railroad headlights will most often create lens flare. So will shooting into the sun with the sun perhaps 20-30 degrees from center.

Wouldn't it be better to just edit flare in after with Photoshop, if you're looking for the pleasing flare effect?

Most reactions

Back