Canon 20D is coming!

AlisonS said:
MDowdey said:
you guys are crazy for spending that much on a camera...i picked the wrong hobby...this crap is too expensive!! :lol:

md

That's why we went into business, to fund our hobby :) One wedding would take care of the 20D's pricetag for you.
i went through a wedding, my own, that was quite enough

md

MDowdey said:
you guys are crazy for spending that much on a camera...i picked the wrong hobby...this crap is too expensive!! :lol:

md

lol, i am insane then. money is a small price to pay for doing something you really love :heart: i can barely pay rent as is ;)

MDowdey said:

md
Yup, think I'll be sticking with my cameras (film) for some time yet. Good investment for a pro but unfortunatly I can't justify it.

MDowdey said:
AlisonS said:
MDowdey said:

md

That's why we went into business, to fund our hobby :) One wedding would take care of the 20D's pricetag for you.
i went through a wedding, my own, that was quite enough

md

Good point. Other people's are much more fun, and lucrative at that.

Shark said:
That's just a major pisser that it doesn't take the same battery grip as the 300D. That's a $129 reason for me to not upgrade. :?

Get used to it. Almost immediate obsolesence is a wonderful thing if you are on the sales end. Digital is going to make Canon and Nikon more money than they ever could have dreamed of with film cameras.

A lot of folks recommend picking a body based on a lens system when buying a digital camera so that they can upgrade the body, and use the same lenses, but I wonder if this is a good idea? 5 years from now the latest, greatest sensors may be so different (for instance very powerful, and very small) that it requires a completely different kind of lens.

The days of buying a new camera/lens system, and being able to "upgrade" to the latest image capturing technology by spending $6 at your local pro lab are almost gone. I use my 47 year old Rolleiflex for personal and professional work almost everyday, and there are plenty of others doing it too; will anyone be saying the same in 50 years for the cameras built today (film & digital)?

My prediction for 2005: proprietary camera straps and bags :lol:

Edit: alright, I have to admit something, Rollei actually did introduce a proprietary camera strap system :oops: , but then again I was able to get around it with two 5 cent "S" hooks from the local hardware store. Unlikely you will find such a convenient fix for the battery pack. :wink:

ksmattfish said:
Shark said:
That's just a major pisser that it doesn't take the same battery grip as the 300D. That's a $129 reason for me to not upgrade. :?

Get used to it. Almost immediate obsolesence is a wonderful thing if you are on the sales end. Digital is going to make Canon and Nikon more money than they ever could have dreamed of with film cameras.

A lot of folks recommend picking a body based on a lens system when buying a digital camera so that they can upgrade the body, and use the same lenses, but I wonder if this is a good idea? 5 years from now the latest, greatest sensors may be so different (for instance very powerful, and very small) that it requires a completely different kind of lens.

The days of buying a new camera/lens system, and being able to "upgrade" to the latest image capturing technology by spending $6 at your local pro lab are almost gone. I use my 47 year old Rolleiflex for personal and professional work almost everyday, and there are plenty of others doing it too; will anyone be saying the same in 50 years for the cameras built today (film & digital)?

My prediction for 2005: proprietary camera straps and bags :lol:

Edit: alright, I have to admit something, Rollei actually did introduce a proprietary camera strap system :oops: , but then again I was able to get around it with two 5 cent "S" hooks from the local hardware store. Unlikely you will find such a convenient fix for the battery pack. :wink:

True, but as with film, most upgrades are really just bells and whistles. Sure, I'd love the newest tech of the D20, but I can shoot professional-level stuff with my "measley" 300D. By the time I'd really need to upgrade, I can pass off the 300D to my daughter (who will be born in December).

Just lamenting that they've got us over a barrel. If I want the latest, state of the art image quality I'll have to spend $2000 for the new DSLR (+$150 for the new batt pack, and how much will the new optimized lenses cost? etc...), rather than $8 on a roll of new pro film.

I'll get used to it, and it will just be a business expense. And if I shoot enough photos upgrading to a new DSLR system every 2 years will probably be cheaper than all the film costs I'd go through in the same time. But will I ever be as attached to my latest, plastic, wonder-tech camera like I am to my Rollei? :love: Or even my K-1000? And will that affect my photos?

Who knows, my Dad is still using my old Kodak DC-25, and that's a digital camera that's about as old as they get :lol: He says he loves it :puke-rig:

Isn't hasselblad or somebody coming out (or already has out) a MF camera where you can just lock on either a film or digital 'cartridge' sort of thing? That might be the way to go eventually...

You can get digital backs for some MF cameras. They are running $10,000+ !!! I sure would love it if someday I could get a digital sensor put in an old MF folder body; that would be a blast!

ksmattfish said:
Digital is going to make Canon and Nikon more money than they ever could have dreamed of with film cameras.

True.

This could be the time to buy some of their shares!

ksmattfish said:
You can get digital backs for some MF cameras. They are running $10,000+ !!! I sure would love it if someday I could get a digital sensor put in an old MF folder body; that would be a blast!

They're also in the 13MP range,if I'm not mistaken (hence the super doooooper sticker shock).

Most reactions

Back