Canon 20D vs. 30D vs. XTi

drummer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new camera, specifically a Canon. I'm an amateur photographer that mainly takes photos of people/everday situations. Not a lot of nature or sports photography.

I've come to love the 20D because one of my favorite photographers uses it. It also fits into what I'm willing to pay, likely for a used one, and that is around $500-700. But I've also found the 30D and XTi to fall into that price range. I'll admit my knowledge of cameras is pretty basic so in reading reviews I've been a little lost, so I thought maybe someone could help me here.

Of those three, which one do you think would be the better choice? Any web sites you'd recommend to look for used cameras? I've seen the 30D usually priced $100-150 more than the 20D - is that extra cost worth it? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

last time I saw a 30D for sale it was on adorama and it was $549 used with the kit lens.... not too bad of a deal. IDK where you are looking and seeing the 20D for $700...

I am still trying to decide between the 30D and the 40D... still a toss up to me lol the 30D seems to be winning tho!

The 30D is exactly the same as the 20D, but with a bigger LCD, and I think a spot meter. You should be able to get a 20D for about $400, A 30D might have less use(if not nearly new) but carry a slightly Higher price. Check Keh.com and Adoroma.com for their used camera prices, they are usually very fair.

That's correct, the 30D is essentially a 20D with a few upgrades like a bigger screen and spot metering. Both good upgrades but not essential if your budget is too tight.

Personally, I'd see if you can stretch the budget to get a 40D...it's a big step ahead of the 30D.

I like the xTi. Its not as "professional" as the magnesium bodied guys with the wheels, but it has the highest pixel count of the three, doesn't weigh much, has a nice monitor on the back, and still can use all of the lenses and flashes the D series can. And they all support E-TTL II, which basically means if you ever get a separate flash, it will do a lot of cool things.

Really, you can't go wrong with ANY of them.

I like the xTi. Its not as "professional" as the magnesium bodied guys with the wheels, but it has the highest pixel count of the three, doesn't weigh much, has a nice monitor on the back, and still can use all of the lenses and flashes the D series can. And they all support E-TTL II, which basically means if you ever get a separate flash, it will do a lot of cool things.

Really, you can't go wrong with ANY of them.

And don't forget the dust reduction system which the 20D and 30D don't have. :p But I have to agree with BigMike here 40D is the camera you really should look at. In addition to dust reduction system it also got live view, a larger LCD, higher fps etc. Well if you are interested you should check out this review: http://www.veramovies.com/

Would I love a 40D or a 50D? Sure I would. Do I love my 30D? A resounding YES!!

The newest bells and whistles aren't what take the photographs ... it is the person behind the lens ...

Ian

Of those three, 30D! I find spot metering very handy myself. I own the XTi as a backup to my 40D, but cannot stand that camera. Images it produces are great, but the lack of the second wheel and the size is rediculous IMHO.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back