Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L or 24-105 f/4 L IS?

soylentgreen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Going on a cruise to Mexico next month and need to decide on a general purpose lens to tote around on my 20D. I currently do not have a wide angle lens since I sold my EF 17-85 f/4.5-5.6 IS. Even considering the 16-35 f/2.8 L but really leaning towards the 24-105 due to the range and IS and I will have a gap between 35-70mm. All three are excellent choices but everyone seems to like the "faster" lenses. I know Canon now has the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS. Very tempting, but it is an EF-S and I will be upgradig to a 5D shortly. Can't see spending $1+K on a non-L lens though. Will be carrying my 70-200 f/2.8 L IS on the trip also. Thanks for the advice as always.

I am on the same dilemna, but I am leaning more on the 24-70mm f/2.8L lens. I think I got spoiled with my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens. Although I use my lens mainly on weddings and debuts, I'm sure you will love the f/2.8 lens aperture on your cruise. Oh and btw, there is a $75 Instant Rebate for the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L lens.

24mm is not wide on a 1.6x crop

Yeah, I was wanting for a bit more sometimes even with my 17-85. Hence the 16-35 f/2.8 I was considering. But I will be upgrading to the 5D soon. Hopefully. Say by December.

I'd get the 24-70 2.8 just because I can't see me using glass slower than the fast end of the kit lens other than the 70-200 F/4 I want to save up for. I do a lot of photography that seems to use my lenses wide open. then again I don't shoot a lot of sunlit photos. Mostly indoors or in shade.

I have the 24-70 f2.8 and it's a stunning lens. Most used lens in my kit.
Sw1tch says it's not wide and that's true but when i got the lens with my 20D i hadn't anything to compare against.
But now on my 5D the 24-70 is amazing.

It's also worth remembering that if you upgrade to a 5D it'll show any poorer lenses up. I'd go with the 24-70 L lens.

Future proof and excellent quality so it'll be great on your 5D

If you have the 70-200 you have the range that you want with the 24-105 covered with those 2 lenses of course not on the wide end. Personally I would always go with the faster lens if you can afford it.

It really comes down to what you shoot. I have the 24-105 f4L IS and it's my most used lens. I also have a sharp Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and it's rarely out of the bag (in fact I've now leant it to my brother)!!

If you shoot moving subjects in low light the f2.8L will be a better option. If you shoot static subjects in low light the f4L IS is a far better option.

You can handhold the f4L IS at very slow shutter speeds and still get amazing shots. It's built well and lighter than the 24-70.

Both are amazing lenses but firt think what you'll use it for and base your decision on that. I found the 24-105 more versatile for my requirements

Most reactions

New Topics

Back