Canon 24-70mm 2.8L

nathanlegiehn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Worth it for me? I have a 16-35 2.8L and a 100mm Macro. I plan on shooting weddings, portraiture and some street photography (landscapes, people, ect.) Let me know if this is worth it or if I should wait for the (rumoured) newer version. Shooting on a 5D mark ii btw.

Thanks

Nathan

You have some awesome gear.

I would think a 24-70 would be perfect. That's a really high-end quality lens. 16-35 is very wide for a full frame camera and the 24-70 is a good focal range for what you'll be using it for.

Derrel was saying that in 3 days or so Canon's announcing some new products... maybe that newer version you speak of. Wait until then at least.

I would love to buy that lens someday but the non-is (as of now) and the reverse zoom would drive me crazy...

Awesome thanks! I think im going to go ahead an buy it today. I know the next one is supposed to have IS but other than that nothing really impresses me toooooooo much. It will also probably be about a grand more and heavier so i think im going to just go ahead with this one as I cant see myself waiting till the end of the summer. :) I hope im not making a bad decision :S

I don't think your going to be making a big mistake. I've learned not to shoot too much with my 16-35 when photographing people. I've made so many mistakes in the past since I shoot really really fast that when using the 16-35(regretfully) results of disorted body parts were all over the place. I think the 24-70 will be more forgiving and will be sufficient enough even for group shots (will create a better worfkow for you). It definitely makes sens for your full frame setup.

SO I GOT IT :D

First Impressions:

-Beautiful
-Somewhat heavy (but I like that)
-Solid construction
-Looks awesome on my 5D Mk II
-Tack sharp

Heres my first test image with it. I think it looks pretty awesome.

4411291883_8957462519_b.jpg

Going to go out and shoot some more!

-Nathan

Make sure it focuses right. I've used two 24-70's and they all had front focusing issues. I hear it's a common problem. Your camera has micro adjust though.

Village Idiot - what are these focusing issues you talk about?

The 24-70 has a history of spotty QC. If you get a good one, it's amazing (I got a good one). If you get a bad one, it will have all sorts of focusing issues. When I say focusing issues, the images will look soft. It's easy enough to diagnose. I would shoot at several focal lengths using a test target you can download any number of places online.

But judging from your somewhat small (and probably sharpened) example, it *seems* you have a good copy.

I love mine, I use it all the time. It's been tack sharp on all of my bodies (40D, 50D, 5D2, 1D3, 1D4).

Most reactions

Back