Canon 28-135mm lens help

In His Image

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was wondering if anyone that has the Canon 28-135mm IS f/3.5-5.6 or has used the lens could give me some feedback. I've talked to a few people about it, but as of yet, no one has even used the lens and I am thinking seriously about buying it....thanks!!

It's a good 'middle of the road' lens. The quality is better than the cheapest lenses but it's not as good as the more expensive lenses.

It's a good range for everyday type shooting and the Image Stabilization is nice to have. The problem with this lens (compared to better lenses) is that it's got a rather small maximum aperture (F3.5 to F5.6).

Also, if you are using a 'crop' digital body (Any of the Rebels, or two digit models (40D, 50D)) then I think it's a bit of an awkward focal length to be your 'everyday' lens. For me, 28mm just isn't wide enough.

My suggestion for a very similar lens would be the EF-S 17-85mm IS. It's practically the same lens, just wider for the crop cameras. Of course, if you want something longer, then the 28-135mm may be a good choice for you.

If you want something with a larger max aperture (and who wouldn't) then you might consider the EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS (although it's rather expensive). An alternative to that would be the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 or the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8.

I have both the Canon 17-85mm and the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8. The Tamron is a 'better' lens but besides the aperture size, there is nothing wrong with the Canon, and I use it often.

Thank you SO much!! That was verry helpful!! I REALLYY appreciate it!!

Its a very decent lens, I don't find the 28mm too long (though i only shot with one twice) its really all about how you find the focal length. Its a popular range, it has decent sharpness and its a good introduction to the IS system. You can find these used for around 300 here in canada so probably cheaper in the states.

Ok thank you!! Yeah I'm basically looking at it for the zoom part....I feel that in my kit lens I usually have it zoomed in all the way for every day use it seems, so I would like something with better zoom for everyday, and not too expensive...thank you so much!!

I purchased my Canon 50D with this lens.

It's a decent lens. I agree that it's a middle-range lens. The quality is pretty good (compared to Canon 18-55mm). My only complaint about this lens is the lens creep. It is so annoying to have the lens creep out when you're about to put it in the camera bag.

I do agree that the 28 isn't as wide as you'd like it to be sometimes. (on a crop sensor)

If you plan on doing portraits, there are better lenses to be had for around the same price, though they won't give you the reach that this lens does. (maybe wider, but not as long; maybe longer but not as wide)

You can visit my Flickr set for this lens and view my best work that I've taken with this lens: Canon 28-135mm IS USM - a set on Flickr

I have this lens and just used it today. Admittedly, I seldom use it as I find the focal length awkward. Its not wide enough for me, but if you find just the opposite, then it should work for you. For the reasons already stated, its not great for lowlight work indoors without flash. The color/contrast is pretty good though. I agree with the general population that it is a good "middle of the road lens".

Most reactions

Back