Canon 300D flash??

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Sharkbait, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

I know zipola about flashes, and I'm looking to expand my photography by starting to do some events. I need a decent (and hopefully decently priced) flash unit for my 300D (digital rebel).

What're the recommendations?? :)

Thanks!
    John

2. GimpyPoop

GimpyPoop TPF Noob!

Yo,
    How about: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004YZLX/103-4922143-3211835?%5Fencoding=UTF8&coliid=I2O6M9GH5R4HFP&colid=IF2WA151CR5B[/ame]

If you want one with more manual controls (with a bigger price tag of course!): [ame]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004THM7/103-4922143-3211835?%5Fencoding=UTF8&coliid=I2CCJHKYOF525J&colid=IF2WA151CR5B[/ame]

Me, the Flea

3. wwjoeld

wwjoeld TPF Noob!

you could get vivatar 283 for cheap, and they will do anyhting you need them to do but they have a bit of a learning curve

4. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

So, are flashes proprietary to the camera model (or at least company), or does one hotshoe flash work on pretty much any camera? (I'm so confused!)

5. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Yes, You can get a dedicated or non-dedicated flash. IMO go with a dedicated one that way the camera can control it, if you what it to, companies like Vivatar make both types

6. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Canon compatible flashes from other companies like sunpak and vivitar are fine for 35mm canon cameras but not so for digital canon cameras. You are pretty much stuck with the canon EX line of flashes that have E-TTL compatibility. I'm in the same boat... couldn't use my sunpak flash when I got my canon d30. A handful of other companies are starting to release E-TTL flashes but I've found several reports of people having problems with them. Local camera store that I trust said the same thing and recommended the 420EX. I don't do much indoor flash photography so I've opted to "live" with the little built in flash for now.