Canon 30D "clicks" or number of shutter actuations

haywood J

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Question. Can anyone help to understand how I can determine how many shutter actuations or "clicks" I have taken with a Canon 30D camera. Since one is able to reset the counter (and I have) it is not a reliable measurement. Someone suggested an up load to Flickr -- I found that is off by 5000 as well. Any assistance would be appreciated.

It should be in the EXIF data of every image you take. For Nikon, it's labeled "Total pictures". I'm not sure what it is for Canon.

The last image you have taken with your camera will have the total number of actuations that have been taken with the camera.

Question. Can anyone help to understand how I can determine how many shutter actuations or "clicks" I have taken with a Canon 30D camera. Since one is able to reset the counter (and I have) it is not a reliable measurement. Someone suggested an up load to Flickr -- I found that is off by 5000 as well. Any assistance would be appreciated.

You send it to Canon and pay for it or you don't get it at all. Only the xD series bodies have the ability to be read for total shutter actuations with an end user program.

Like I said, I don't know how Canon labels the total picture count in EXIF data, or even if they record it to EXIF in the first place.

Try this:
1) Take an exposure
2) Transfer the resulting JPEG to your computer
3) Download and install IrfanView
4) Open the JPEG in IrfanView
5) Press I, then press E

You now have a dialogue box displaying *all* of the EXIF data. Non-dedicated image data viewers (like a Windows file properties dialogue, for example) dumb things down and only display some of the EXIF data.

You should have IrfanView anyway, it's fantastic! ;)

so can you tell me how many pics have been run on this camera body. I bought it used and cant seem to figure this out.

Make - Canon
Model - Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 72
YResolution - 72
ResolutionUnit - Inch
DateTime - 2008:12:04 21:50:27
YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited
ExifOffset - 196
ExposureTime - 1/3.3 seconds
FNumber - 1.80
ExposureProgram - Aperture priority
ISOSpeedRatings - 100
ExifVersion - 0221
DateTimeOriginal - 2008:12:04 21:50:27
DateTimeDigitized - 2008:12:04 21:50:27
ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
ShutterSpeedValue - 1/3 seconds
ApertureValue - F 1.80
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MeteringMode - Partial
Flash - Flash not fired, compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 50 mm
UserComment -
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 3456
ExifImageHeight - 2304
InteroperabilityOffset - 9230
FocalPlaneXResolution - 3954.23
FocalPlaneYResolution - 3958.76
FocalPlaneResolutionUnit - Inch
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Auto
SceneCaptureType - Standard
Maker Note (Vendor): -
Macro mode - Normal
Self timer - Off
Quality - Fine
Flash mode - Not fired
Sequence mode - Continous
Focus mode - MF
Image size - Large
Easy shooting mode - Manual
Digital zoom - None
Contrast - High , +1
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal
ISO Value - 32767
Metering mode - Partial
Focus type - Auto
AF point selected -
Exposure mode - Av-priority
Focal length - 50 - 50 mm (1 mm)
Flash activity - Not fired
Flash details -
Focus mode 2 - 8
White Balance - Auto
Sequence number - 0
Flash bias - 0 EV
Subject Distance - 0
Image Type - Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT
Firmware Version - Firmware 1.0.3
Owner Name - unknown<Pd
Camera Serial Number - 1120626947 (42CB26883)
File number - 130 - 3012
Thumbnail: -
Compression - 6 (JPG)
XResolution - 72
YResolution - 72
ResolutionUnit - Inch
JpegIFOffset - 9716
JpegIFByteCount - 6327

Darn. That number is my reset number, I reset it no thinking. I did buy it used so I'm not sure how used it really was.

Just an F.Y.I. The previous poster was correct in saying the 3000 number is the file number, but just since it was last reset as you already noticed.

What concerned me more was your Firmware version. The latest version is 1.0.6. Also, make sure you have downloaded the latest version of Canon's DPP. All free to you as a Canon user from their Website.

This is the link for the 30D:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...ategoryid=215&modelid=12929#DownloadDetailAct

I know it's not exactly what you are looking for, but hope this helps you and others.

- Nick

hhhmmmm....

If you look at second line from the top of the Exif it says that the camera is a

"Model - Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT"

That doesn't seem like a 30d to me!!

"Model - Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT"

That doesn't seem like a 30d to me!!
Not the same person. The OP was Heywood J, asking about a 30D. Jklersy has the XT.

Btw for the record different cameras even from the same manufacturer record them in different places in the EXIF and some don't record it at all.

There is no generic blanket statement saying it is located in the EXIF and called "blah"

Btw for the record different cameras even from the same manufacturer record them in different places in the EXIF and some don't record it at all.

There is no generic blanket statement saying it is located in the EXIF and called "blah"

True, but in the case of the 30D the location in the EXIF as I noted above is correct. You are right though, I should be more specific next time.

Thanks for pointing that out!

-Nick

Most reactions

Back