Canon 30D... Focus??

Richard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.raeelle.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was wondering is it possible that the camera body is not focusing correctly? I just switched from Nikon to Canon. I bought a used 30D and 3 new lenes.

Canon 85 1.8
Canon 70-200 f/4 L
Tamron 17-50 2.8

None of these lenes are tack sharp, in the view finder they look good but when I put the images on the computer, they are slightly blurry. Now pretty much I would be able to sharpen it in Photoshop, but I thought these lens were suppose to be tack sharp. I've made sure that my shutter is high enough, for example I was using the Tamron at 30mm 1/200 f/4 and focused on a can of soup and even though the label was readable it wasn't what I would call sharp. I read many reviews on these lenes and from what people have said is all good with sharpness. Another thing I noticed is if I get maybe 3 feet from the subject that I will get a tack sharp image but if I'm 6 feet away it's not what I would expect for sharpness. I'm just confused because when I had a Nikon D40 and used my 50mm 1.8 I got great images that were sharp right out of the camera.

FYI my settings have been the same with both cameras for example I turn off all in-camera editing, and with the Nikon I still got great sharp very contrasty images.

I know this went a little long so let me remind you what my question is. Could the camera body be the cause of this problem or did I just end up with 3 bad lenes?

It's unlikely that all three lenses are out of alignment to a significant degree. It is certainly possible that your camera is out. Is your camera under warranty? I would try exchanging it, or having it sent into Canon for repair.

If you have a local camera shop, you could take your lenses in and ask to take some test shots (bring a memory card). then you get sharp test shots, you can be sure that it's your camera that is the problem.

I would do what mike says. That way you can narrow it down to a lens or camera problem. I have all three of the lenses and the same camera you do and I get consistently sharp images out of all three lenses. Sounds like its something with the camers.

Deadeye008,

What about the contrast do you find your images being a little washed out? Also I seem to have to overexpose by one stop with the 30D is that normal? I am just not happy so far with my decision to switch to Canon :grumpy: but maybe it's just all in this particular camera. Well one thing I actually really like that I noticed right away was the noise, I can shoot ISO 1600 and actually get away with it. I was thinking of spending the money and upgrading to the 40D instead BUT if the 30D is suppose to be a better preformer than the one I have then maybe I should just buy a NEW 30D. I really would rather spend the extra money and upgrade my 70-200 to a 2.8 lens.

my 30d works fine with the tamron and my 50mm f/1.8. it's probably just out of alignment like everyone else is saying. i've had no probelms with my camera. (under/overexposure) as long as you know what you're doing. the switch could have thrown you off, but then again, i've never shot nikon so i don't know the difference.

Deadeye008,

What about the contrast do you find your images being a little washed out? Also I seem to have to overexpose by one stop with the 30D is that normal? I am just not happy so far with my decision to switch to Canon :grumpy: but maybe it's just all in this particular camera. Well one thing I actually really like that I noticed right away was the noise, I can shoot ISO 1600 and actually get away with it. I was thinking of spending the money and upgrading to the 40D instead BUT if the 30D is suppose to be a better preformer than the one I have then maybe I should just buy a NEW 30D. I really would rather spend the extra money and upgrade my 70-200 to a 2.8 lens.

I find the contrast to be good with my camera and I don't usually have to overexpose at all. Maybe it's just that you are used to shooting Nikon. I have only shot Canon, with the exception of playing around a little with some Nikons, so I couldn't tell you if that is the case or not. I have been really happy with my 30d though. Maybe you just got a bad one... I would take the camera and have it looked at.

Thanks everyone for the advice I just called a Camera store and they said it would be okay to bring my lenes in and take some pictures so I'll do that this Saturday.

Okay, I decided not to wait till Saturday to check my lenes. I just put an order in at B&H for the Canon 40D will be here tomorrow, lets hope this will fix the problem :wink:.

Update, got the 40D... LOVE IT! Feels great in my hands, I like what they did with the grip, I like the extra weight and the custom features. VERY happy and my lenses work! I am very impressed with the Tamron 17-50 2.8, being a 3rd party lens.

Most reactions

Back