Canon 400 2.8 Manufacture Date

Jim Morelly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just purchased a used 400 2.8 and am looking to determine date of manufacture. I have researched and cannot determine date using the date matrix found by Goggling. The five digit serial number identified on the lens is 22551.
Hoping somebody can assist with either the date of manufacture or pointing me in the right direction.

I appreciate any help I can get with this.

Thank You
Jim

Terrible lens, you should send it to me. ;)

Are there any letters in the serial number?

I think you are looking at the wrong serial number. Is this the one loacated here?
lens-serialnumber1.jpg

One is date stamp other is serial.

Runnah , Thank You !

Had to dig up magnify glass (lol) Date code was UR0610.... June 03.

Any opinions on life expectancy ?

The lens was a major purchase ( 30 day trail ) and want to be sure I make a good decision

Thanks
Jim

Runnah , Thank You !

The lens was a major purchase ( 30 day trail ) and want to be sure I make a good decision

Thanks
Jim

As long as you don't drop it and keep it dry it should last another 20 years.

That is one of those amazing lenses that still performs as good if not better than most modern lenses.

Runnah , Thank You !

Thanks
Jim

Runnah , Thank You !

Thanks
Jim

As long as you don't drop it and keep it dry it should last another 20 years.

That is one of those amazing lenses that still performs as good if not better than most modern lenses.

Man, that thing is so old and out dated, that you should just donate it to me for display and use on my 7Dmkii. I only shoot HS football at night, that's probably all this lens is good for. ;)

Is it version I or II?

It's a 400 f/2.8, does version I or II really make a difference? (sarcasm intended, as I don't know the difference in the two versions. In other words, I just see 400 f/2.8 and want it, lol)

:) both nice, but in some cases $5k difference in price. Yikes.

Is it version I or II?

It's a 400 f/2.8, does version I or II really make a difference? (sarcasm intended, as I don't know the difference in the two versions. In other words, I just see 400 f/2.8 and want it, lol)

:) both nice, but in some cases $5k difference in price. Yikes.

WTH? You mean I have to PAY for them? Well crap, I guess that leaves me out....so broke I can't rub two pennies together.

No suffix on the model description tag so I will assume version I.

Jim

If it came out in 2003 and you didn't have shell out $8k, than it's a version 1.

Version 1's can be had for somewhat low money.

I bought my FD 400 2.8 slightly used from a dentist for $1500 in 1992(he wanted to use it for bird photos, but couldn't carry it around, he used it twice) I was shooting football practice with it yesterday. Felt really good going back to basics and manual focus everything. Took a little time to get back into it, but after a couple of hours I managed to end up with some nice images. It's a great lens and as sharp and heavy as the day I got it.

As long as the autofocus motor in the newer ones are still ok, it'll be a great lens to use. Even then I'm not sure it's a huge expense to replace it, they were built pretty tough.

Most reactions

Back