Canon 400mm f/2.8 $7000+ "not out of reach!!"

ottor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I always thought I'd never get a relatively expensive lens like that, but my wife, over the weekend, said while we were discussing hobbies and interests, mentioned that I could get a Harley if I wanted... Woah - got me thinking..... How about other guys' hobbies....

Camping - $15 - 20K for a camp trailer - 5th wheel
Dirt Bikes - $6-7k for a good one
Motorcycling - Harley is about $20k
Hunting - don't even ask...

Now, thinking like that, makes the purchase of a lens like this a lot more realistic.... It may be expensive, but it still puts me way on the low end of "Guy Toys".... :thumbup:

For right now, I' m still saving up for a UV filter... A really good one !!

huh, now that you put it that way! ;)

Yah its always the case - people looked shocked when you tell them the price of a lens, but then you compare it to say their car, gun, boat, etc.... Even fairly cheap hobbies can rank up costs very quickly - consider with a modest SLR and 50mm lens you could spend a small fortune in film over time, even if you processed B&W at home.

Yeah, I was actually thinking of that a few days ago. My dream lens is about the same price (the Canon 500mm f/4) and I am the sort that buys a cheap car and drives it into the ground rather than blowing $$ on an expensive car or buying new cars on a regular basis.

In the interim, my used 400/5.6 should be shipped today and I should see it by the end of the week :)

The S1000RR BMW is more my taste :)

I think about this all the time... My hunting takes up a few thousand dollars a year, and that is only in a 4 month window. And none of that I even bat an eye at. But then my wife and I get into an argument over a $300 car set for my son. :lmao:

I spent about $50k on hookers and blow last year. Talk about an expenssive hobby

:D

My motos are cheap. I picked up an '06 Daytona 675 with 4100 miles for $5150.

Yeah, funny how an honest financial discussion with the missus can sometime bring unexpected responses. A Harley is more expensive than the Canon 400/2.8, so, hey, maybe you ought to consider a 500mm lens, if you want it for birding/nature work.

If you looking at the 500 you may as well get the 600 whilst you are at it.

If you looking at the 500 you may as well get the 600 whilst you are at it.

Nah, too heavy! Also not hand-holdable, whereas many birders hand-hold the 500 for brief moments. Also have to buy a full Wimberly for the 600, whereas you can use the Sidekick with the 500.

Then again, there's always the 800/5.6 ... It's only $12K and still less than that Harley.

Get a motorcycle.. its way better than a camera lens.

It may be expensive, but it still puts me way on the low end of "Guy Toys".... :thumbup:

For right now, I' m still saving up for a UV filter... A really good one !![/QUOTE]

That is funny!

You purchase the 500, and with the money left over spend it on a couple of really cool photo trips!!!!!!!:thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back